How Does Frequency Alter Output Voltage in an RLC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a radio tuner circuit consisting of an inductor, variable capacitor, and antenna. The output voltage across the capacitor is determined by the Q-factor and frequency of the circuit. The ratio of output voltage for a background signal at a different frequency is not simply the frequency ratio, as there is an additional equation needed for the voltage across the capacitor in a series RLC circuit.
Alouette

Homework Statement

A radio tuner built by connecting an L=0.58mH inductor and variable capacitor in series with an antenna. The driving voltage is provided by the radiowaves that pass through the antenna, and the total internal resistance of the circuit is R=2.6Ohms.

The variable capacitor is adjusted to tune the radio to 540kHz because of a capacitance C1 = 1.5 x 10^(-10), and the quality factor of the circuit with C1 is 756.

(a) If another station operates at 490kHz with the same amplitude at your location, what is the ratio of the output voltage due to this background signal to the output of the signal for which the circuit has been tuned? The output voltage is the voltage across the capacitor.

(b) Find this same ratio if the other station operates with the same amplitude at frequency 535kHz

Homework Equations

q = (XL) / (R) = 2*∏*(L/R)*f [this is the voltage across the capacitor, f = frequency]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well since the only variable is frequency, I thought that the ratio of output voltage is basically the ratio of the frequencies. As in this:

(2*∏*(L/R)*490kHz) / (2*∏*(L/R)*540kHz)

So for both (a) and (b), the ratios would have been:

(a) 490/540 & (b) 535/540

Yet this gives me too high of a number (both are ~ 0.9). Am I missing a factor in my equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alouette said:

Homework Statement

A radio tuner built by connecting an L=0.58mH inductor and variable capacitor in series with an antenna. The driving voltage is provided by the radiowaves that pass through the antenna, and the total internal resistance of the circuit is R=2.6Ohms.

The variable capacitor is adjusted to tune the radio to 540kHz because of a capacitance C1 = 1.5 x 10^(-10), and the quality factor of the circuit with C1 is 756.

(a) If another station operates at 490kHz with the same amplitude at your location, what is the ratio of the output voltage due to this background signal to the output of the signal for which the circuit has been tuned? The output voltage is the voltage across the capacitor.

(b) Find this same ratio if the other station operates with the same amplitude at frequency 535kHz

Homework Equations

q = (XL) / (R) = 2*∏*(L/R)*f [this is the voltage across the capacitor, f = frequency]
Hmm. That would be the Q-factor for a coil with inductance L and resistance R. How do you figure it's the voltage across the capacitor of a series RLC circuit?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well since the only variable is frequency, I thought that the ratio of output voltage is basically the ratio of the frequencies. As in this:

(2*∏*(L/R)*490kHz) / (2*∏*(L/R)*540kHz)

So for both (a) and (b), the ratios would have been:

(a) 490/540 & (b) 535/540

Yet this gives me too high of a number (both are ~ 0.9). Am I missing a factor in my equation?
I think you're missing an entire equation :smile: What's the expression for the magnitude of the voltage across the capacitor in a series RLC circuit given a unit stimulus (1V @ frequency f)?

HINT: It's convenient to work symbolically with reactances XL, XC and plug in the actual values later.

FAQ: How Does Frequency Alter Output Voltage in an RLC Circuit?

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that is powered by an alternating current (AC) source. This means that the flow of electric current periodically reverses direction, usually at a fixed frequency. AC circuits are commonly used to power household and industrial appliances.

2. What is the voltage ratio in an AC circuit?

The voltage ratio in an AC circuit refers to the ratio between the voltage of the input AC source and the voltage of the output load. It is typically represented as a decimal or percentage and is used to determine the voltage gain or loss in the circuit.

3. How do you calculate the voltage ratio in an AC circuit?

The voltage ratio in an AC circuit can be calculated using the formula: Vout/Vin = Zout/Zin, where Vout is the output voltage, Vin is the input voltage, Zout is the impedance of the load, and Zin is the impedance of the source. Alternatively, the voltage ratio can also be calculated using the formula: Vout/Vin = Iout/Iin, where Iout is the output current and Iin is the input current.

4. What is the significance of the voltage ratio in an AC circuit?

The voltage ratio is significant in an AC circuit because it determines the amount of voltage that is transferred from the input source to the output load. This is important in determining the efficiency and performance of the circuit, as well as ensuring that the load receives the correct amount of voltage to function properly.

5. How does the voltage ratio affect the power output in an AC circuit?

The voltage ratio has a direct impact on the power output in an AC circuit. As the voltage ratio increases, the power output also increases. This is because the power output is directly proportional to the voltage and current in the circuit, and the voltage ratio is used to calculate the voltage and current in the output load.