How Does Friction Affect the Motion of a Spring-Attached Block?

In summary, a block of mass 10kg is attached to a spring with a constant of 1850 N/m. The coefficient of sliding friction between the block and the surface is .25. The block is pulled back 11 cm to the right and released. The problem at hand is to find the speed at different points and the distance the block travels after equilibrium. The solution involves considering the energy of the system, where the change in total energy is equal to the work done on the system (with friction being a factor). Further assistance can be provided if needed.
Tycho
a block of mass 10kg is attached to a spring with a constant of 1850 N/m. the coefficient of sliding friction between the block and the surface is .25
the block is pulled back 11 cm to the right and released.

the question asks the speed at different points, and how far the distance after equilibrium it travels.

THe problem i have is this... i am fine on all of this except for how to figure the friction into the equation? i know the velocity neglecting friction, and i know the force of friction acting on the box. i need something to put the two together. can someone please lend me a small hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
The stretched spring has a certain PE. If there were no friction, as the spring contracted [itex]-\Delta \texrm(PE) = \Delta \texrm(KE)[/itex]. But with friction, some of that PE is transformed to heat via work done against friction. So: [itex]-\Delta \texrm(PE) = \Delta \texrm(KE) + W_\texrm{(friction)}[/itex]. What's the work done against friction?

How about considering the energy?

[tex]\Delta K + \Delta U = -fd [/tex]

where f is the friction force, d is the distance travelled, and K and U are kinetic and potential energy, respectively. This is a statement that says the change in total energy of the system is equal to the work done on the system (the work done on the system in this case is negative (frictional loss)).

Try take it from there; we can help more if you need it.

FAQ: How Does Friction Affect the Motion of a Spring-Attached Block?

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the relative motion or tendency towards motion between two objects in contact with each other.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces of two objects in contact with each other. When these rough surfaces rub against each other, they create resistance and thus friction.

3. How is friction measured?

Friction is measured using a unit called the coefficient of friction, which is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the force of friction to the normal force between two surfaces. It can be measured using various methods such as a friction force sensor or a friction coefficient calculator.

4. What are the types of friction?

There are four types of friction: static, sliding, rolling, and fluid friction. Static friction occurs when two objects are at rest and trying to move against each other, sliding friction occurs when two objects are sliding against each other, rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface, and fluid friction occurs when an object moves through a fluid medium.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to smooth out the rough surfaces and reduce the resistance. Another way to reduce friction is by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as Teflon or nylon. Additionally, reducing the weight or increasing the surface area of an object can also help to decrease friction.

Back