How Does Friction and Air Resistance Affect a Skier's Speed on a Slope?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a professional skier on a mountain slope. The skier's initial acceleration on fresh snow is 90% of what would be expected on a frictionless inclined plane due to friction. The air resistance also causes the skier's acceleration to decrease as they pick up speed. The conversation includes a homework problem asking for the skier's exit speed without air resistance and the percentage of speed lost to air resistance. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and clarification on the variables involved. The correct answers for the problem are 214 km/hr for the exit speed and 16% for the percentage of speed lost to air resistance.
ae4jm
[SOLVED] Motion on a Plane

Homework Statement

A professional skier's initial acceleration on fresh snow is 90% of the acceleration expected on a frictionless, inclined plane, the loss being due to friction. Due to air resistance, his acceleration slowly decreases as he picks up speed. The speed record on a mountain in Oregon is 180 kilometers per hour at the bottom of a 25 degree slope that drops 200 m.

a) What exit speed could a skier reach in the absence of air resistance?
b) What percentage of this ideal speed is lost to air resistance?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2+2at
a= (9.8)sin (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer for part a is 214 km/hr and the correct answer for part b is 16%.

Do I take the 90% of the acceleration after finding acceleration with a= (9.8)sin (theta), I just need to add the 10% back to the acceleration?

The 200m drop; is this the opposite of the angle or is this the hypotenuse? I believe it is the hypotenuse, but it if it was the opposite of the angle I should be able to find the adjacent and hypotenuse of the angle with inverse tangent, correct?

Please, if you have any tips or pointers for this problem I am grateful to hear them!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an error in your first equation you've stated "Relevant Equations". It should be a "d", not a "t".

Do I take the 90% of the acceleration after finding acceleration with a= (9.8)sin (theta),
Yes. This is the one taking into account the friction with the snow, not the air.

I just need to add the 10% back to the acceleration?

Not sure what you mean by this.

The 200m drop; is this the opposite of the angle or is this the hypotenuse? I believe it is the hypotenuse, but it if it was the opposite of the angle I should be able to find the adjacent and hypotenuse of the angle with inverse tangent, correct?
I would take this to be the vertical distance from the top of the hill to the bottom (so not the hypotenuse). You can use trig to find the length of the hypotenuse.

The answer I get is not the same as the book's answer.

First,
I solved for the hypotenuse, my s variable, to get the distance traveled by the skier. I go ahead and take .90 of the acceleration to plug into the original information. I use Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(s). I convert the 180km/hr into 50m/s and use Vi=0m/s. So, my first equation used will be, 50^2=0+2(3.96)s. I solved for s and got s=315.66m.

Then I got back and plug in s=315.66 into the equation, Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(s) to find my Vf for the final speed. I also use a=4.4, since I'm not taking 90% of the acceleration anymore. I get Vf^2=0+2(4.4)(315.66). Vf=52.7 m/s. Now I convert from m/s to km/hr and I get 189.72km/hr, which is off from 214 km/hr.

Does anyone see any errors?

Here's how to solve the problem.

For part A:

You know that Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(distance of slope)

Since Vi^2=0, you have Vf^2=2a(distance of slope)
You also want to factor in 90% acceleration.

So, plugging in the variables you have:
Vf^2=(2)(9.8)(200)(.90)
Vf^2=3,528
Vf=(3,528)^(1/2)
Vf=59.39697

Converting into km/hr,
59.39697 m/s * 3600 s/hr * .001 km/m

You get 213.829 km/hr, which rounds to 214 km/hr.

Part B is the easy part.
180/214=84%
So you have lost 100%-84%=16%.

Actually, ever1809 is close but incorrect:

Vf^2=(2)(9.8)(200)(.90) is missing a component and the correct distance.

the component that is affected by gravity: (g*sin(theta))(0.9) = 3.7275 m/s^2
the distance is our hypotenuse = 200m/sin(25) = 473 m

Vf^2 = (2)(3.7275)(473)

ever1809 was correct in the problem's followthru and just by accident the answer comes out the same so this was just an example of a truly poorly planned and misleading problem

Last edited:

FAQ: How Does Friction and Air Resistance Affect a Skier's Speed on a Slope?

1. What is motion on a plane?

Motion on a plane refers to the movement of an object in a two-dimensional space, such as a flat surface or a coordinate system.

2. What factors affect motion on a plane?

The main factors that affect motion on a plane are the initial velocity, acceleration, and external forces acting on the object.

3. How is motion on a plane solved?

Motion on a plane can be solved using mathematical equations, such as the equations of motion, to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at different points in time.

4. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform motion on a plane?

Uniform motion on a plane refers to a constant velocity, while non-uniform motion on a plane involves a changing velocity, either in speed or direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of motion on a plane?

Motion on a plane has many practical applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, predicting the movement of planets and satellites, and analyzing the motion of vehicles in traffic.

Back