How Does Gauss' Law Apply to Non-Symmetrical Shapes and Charge Distributions?

In summary: The proof of Gauss' Law often involves using solid angles to calculate the electric flux through a closed surface.
Harrisonized

Homework Statement

Gauss' Law states:

∫∫ E.dS = ∫∫∫ div(E) dV = Qenc/ε₀

The proof is as follows (this is from Marsden's Vector Calculus 5e):

Let M be a elementary region in ℝ3. Then if (0,0,0) ∉ ∂M, we have:
∫∫∂M r.n/r3 dS
= 4π if (0,0,0) ∈ M
= 0 if (0,0,0) ∉ M

Construct a sphere of radius δ with boundary ∂N such that the sphere is contained completely within M. Let W be the region between ∂N and ∂M. W has a divergence of 0.

Note that ∂N has a normal vector pointing inward toward the deleted point (0,0,0) and ∂M has a normal vector pointing outward away from the deleted point (0,0,0).

Since the total flux out of W must be 0 based on the divergence theorem, the flux out of ∂N and the flux out of ∂M must be equal. The flux out of ∂N is 4π, since

-∫∫∂N r.n/r3 dS = ∫∫∂N δ24 dS = 1/δ2 ∫∫∂N dS

∫∫∂N dS = 4πδ2, the surface area of a sphere. Take the limit as the sphere approaches 0.

Therefore, the flux out of ∂M containing the deleted point (0,0,0) is 4π.

Let E = Q/(4πε0) r/r3. Then

∫∫ E.dS = Q/(4πε0) ∫∫∂M r.n/r3 dS = Q/ε0

My questions are as follows:

1. Let M be a convex region of any finite size with a charge distribution. From the exterior of M, does the force follow Coulomb's law as though M were a point charge acting from the centroid? (I'm inclined to believe yes, because of the proof of Gauss' Theorem, but I can't be certain.)

2. Suppose I have a sphere with a conical "bite" on its side. Like this: (< The centroid is thus to the left of the sharp tip of the "cone". Suppose I put a test charge somewhere inside the cone, such that it's not touching the surface of the object. What force does it experience? (I'm inclined to believe that F = q0Q/(4πε0r2) toward the centroid.)

3. Suppose I have an off-center cavity near the surface of the sphere, such that it doesn't pass through the centroid of the shape. What force does a test charge placed in this cavity experience?

4. In my physics class, I'm told that Gauss' Law may only be used when there is a high degree of symmetry. However, the proof I mentioned above allows me to use Gauss' law for ANY shape, given that its centroid is contained within its boundary. Why is Gauss' Law used only for symmetrical regions? What allows me to use Gauss' Law for shapes that don't have centroids, such as infinite planes or infinite lines?

5. Can anyone tell me what's so special about a solid angle? I really don't understand proofs of Gauss' law that just mention the solid angle, such as this one:

http://faculty.cua.edu/sober/536/Gauss_solid_angle.pdf

I see in too many physics textbooks and it's driving me nuts because it just seems so... unsatisfactory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations Gauss' Law: ∫∫ E.dS = ∫∫∫ div(E) dV = Qenc/ε₀Coulomb's Law: F = q0Q/(4πε0r2)The Attempt at a Solution 1. Yes, the force follows Coulomb's Law as though M were a point charge acting from its centroid.2. The force would be q0Q/(4πε0r2) toward the centroid.3. The force would still be q0Q/(4πε0r2), but it would be directed away from the cavity.4. Gauss' Law can be used for shapes that don't have centroids because the law is based on the idea that the net electric flux out of a closed surface is zero. This means that the total electric flux into the surface must be equal to the total electric flux out of the surface, regardless of the shape of the surface.5. A solid angle is the three-dimensional analog of an angle. It measures the amount of the surface of a sphere that is subtended by a given area on the sphere's surface. It is useful for calculating the magnitude of a vector field in three-dimensional space, as it is related to the divergence of the field.

Related to How Does Gauss' Law Apply to Non-Symmetrical Shapes and Charge Distributions?

What is Gauss' Law and how does it relate to charges?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charges and the electric flux through a closed surface. It states that the total electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the total electric charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

What is the significance of the permittivity of free space in Gauss' Law?

The permittivity of free space, denoted by ε0, is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism that represents the ability of a vacuum to permit the formation of an electric field. It is a crucial factor in Gauss' Law as it relates the electric flux to the electric field and charge, providing a quantitative measure of the strength of the electric field created by a given charge.

How is Gauss' Law used to calculate the electric field of a point charge?

In the case of a point charge, Gauss' Law can be used to calculate the electric field at any point in space by constructing a spherical Gaussian surface around the charge. The electric flux through this surface can then be calculated using the charge enclosed and the permittivity of free space. By equating this to the total electric flux, the electric field can be determined.

Can Gauss' Law be applied to a system of multiple charges?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to a system of multiple charges by considering the electric flux through a closed surface that encloses all of the charges. The total charge enclosed in the surface is the sum of all the individual charges, and the electric field at any point can be calculated using the same method as with a single point charge.

What is the relationship between Gauss' Law and Coulomb's Law?

Gauss' Law and Coulomb's Law are closely related. Coulomb's Law describes the force between two point charges, while Gauss' Law relates the electric field created by a charge to the total charge enclosed by a surface. In fact, Gauss' Law can be derived from Coulomb's Law by considering the force on an infinitesimal test charge at any point in space.