How Does Gaussian Elimination Solve This System of Equations?

It's a different way of looking at things.Sure, that's fine. all I was trying to do was to look at the problem from a geometric perspective. Since you mentioned Gaussian elimination, it's likely that you will soon be doing these problems using matrices, and working with vectors. For me, it's helpful to consider the geometry of these problems, not just the algebraic manipulations. It's a different way of looking at things.In summary, the system of equations given is as follows: x+y=1, 2x+y-z=1, 3x+y-2z=1. The Gaussian elimination method technique is used to solve this system. By manipulating the equations and creating new ones, it can be
late347

Homework Statement

system of equations is as follows
x+y=1
2x+y-z=1
3x+y-2z=1
##\begin{cases} x+y=1 |*(-1)\\2x+y-z=1\\3x+y-2z=1 \end{cases}##

Homework Equations

Gaussian elimination method technique

The Attempt at a Solution

##\begin{cases} x+y=1 \\ x-z=0 |*(-2)\\ 2x-2z=0 \end{cases}##<=>

##\begin{cases} x+y=1 |*(-1)\\ x-z=0 \\ 0=0 \end{cases}##

<=>

##\begin{cases} x+y=1 \\ -y-z=-1 \\ x=z \end{cases}##

<=>
at this stage I think you are supposed to plug in x=z into some equation in the system
##\begin{cases} x+y=1 \\ -y-z=-1 \\ x=z \end{cases}##

##\begin{cases} x+y=1 <=> x=1-y \\ -y-z=-1 \\ x=z \end{cases}##

##-y-x=-1##
<=> x=-y+1

from those two equations it can be seen that those equations at least are identical equations for the same line.

So I think ultimately based on that geometry there should be infinite solutions (is that the correct way to do it and solve it?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Your equations are not independent, so instead of three you have only two equations and the solution has one degree of freedom.

Likes late347
Hi @late347:

I confess I am unfamiliar with the notation "| * (-1)". However, there is a quick way to discover there there is a unique solution or an infinity of solutions. If you take the determinant of the matrix of coefficients, if the value of the determinant is zero, then there are an infinite number of solutions. If the value is not zero, then there is a unique solution. Here the matrix is:
1 1 0
2 1 -1
3 1 -2
and the value is zero, so there are an infinite number of solutions.

To find out the dimensional nature of this infinity requires some additional analysis.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes late347
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi @late347:

I confess I am unfamiliar with the notation "| * (-1)". However, there is a quick way to discover there there is a unique solution or an infinity of solutions. If you take the determinant of the matrix of coefficients, if the value of the determinant is zero, then there are an infinite number of solutions. If the value is not zero, then there is a unique solution. Here the matrix is:
1 1 0
2 1 -1
3 1 -2
and the value is zero, so there are an infinite number of solutions.

To find out the dimensional nature of this infinity requires some additional analysis.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz
Our teacher only really taught us to manipulate the equations themselves instead of making the matrix such as you did.

I think my notation just means | * (-2) means that both sides of the equation were multiplied by (-2).

And the newly created equations in the further phases of the calculation were created by summing equations together

Likes Buzz Bloom
Clear to me it was.

late347 said:
I think my notation just means | * (-2) means that both sides of the equation were multiplied by (-2).

Hi late:

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes late347
late347 said:
x+y=1
2x+y-z=1
3x+y-2z=1

So I think ultimately based on that geometry there should be infinite solutions
The geometry here is that the three equations represent three planes that intersect in a line. Each point on this line is a solution to the system of equations. One point on this line is (0, 1, 0). It can be shown (and you probably haven't seen this yet) that every point on this line is of the form (x, y, z) = r(1, -1, 1) + (0, 1, 0), where r is any real number.

Mark44 said:
The geometry here is that the three equations represent three planes that intersect in a line. Each point on this line is a solution to the system of equations. One point on this line is (0, 1, 0). It can be shown (and you probably haven't seen this yet) that every point on this line is of the form (x, y, z) = r(1, -1, 1) + (0, 1, 0), where r is any real number.
That may very well be... I think the more simple case of two-variable system of equations was easy to justify to myself.

late347 said:
That may very well be... I think the more simple case of two-variable system of equations was easy to justify to myself.
Sure, that's fine. all I was trying to do was to look at the problem from a geometric perspective. Since you mentioned Gaussian elimination, it's likely that you will soon be doing these problems using matrices, and working with vectors. For me, it's helpful to consider the geometry of these problems, not just the algebraic manipulations.

Related to How Does Gaussian Elimination Solve This System of Equations?

1. What is a linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations consists of two or more linear equations that are being solved simultaneously. These equations involve variables that are multiplied by constants and added together to equal a specific value. The solution to a linear system of equations is the set of values that make all of the equations true at the same time.

2. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations has only linear equations, meaning that the variables are raised to the first power and there are no exponents or other non-linear functions involved. A non-linear system of equations, on the other hand, can have equations with exponents, logarithms, or other non-linear functions.

3. How do you solve a linear system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a linear system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. In substitution, one equation is solved for a variable and then substituted into the other equation. In elimination, the equations are manipulated to eliminate one of the variables. Graphing involves graphing each equation and finding the point of intersection.

4. What does it mean if a linear system of equations has no solution?

If a linear system of equations has no solution, it means that the two lines represented by the equations are parallel and will never intersect. This can be seen graphically as two parallel lines that do not cross. In terms of the equations, it means that the two equations are contradictory and cannot be true at the same time.

5. Can a linear system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear system of equations can have infinitely many solutions. This occurs when the two equations represent the same line or when the two lines intersect at multiple points. Graphically, this can be seen as two overlapping lines or a single line that coincides with both equations.