How Does Gravity Affect the Frequency Needed to Keep Water in a Jar on Mars?

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
In summary: And that depends on the speed right?In summary, the conversation discusses an open jar of water being moved in a vertical circle with a frequency that almost causes the water to fall out at the top. The question is then posed about the change in frequency needed for the water to again be on the verge of falling out if the demonstration was repeated on Mars with a different acceleration due to gravity. The solution involves using the equations for centripetal acceleration and velocity, and understanding that the right hand side of the equation represents the force needed to keep the water in the jar. The speed of the water ultimately determines whether it will fall out or stay in the jar.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An open jar of water moves in a vertical circle of radius ##0.50m## with a frequency that is small enough to put the water on the verge of falling out of the jar at the top of to the circle.If the same demonstration were repeated on Mars,where the ##a_g## is only ##3.7 \frac {m} {s^2}## ,what is the change in the circling frequency to again put the water on the verge of falling out at the top point.

Homework Equations

##a_r=\frac {v^2} {r}##
##v=2πfr##

The Attempt at a Solution

##a_r=\frac {v^2} {r}##
##v=2πfr##
##m\frac {v^2} {r}=mg##
from these
I found ##0.27 Hz##, which its correct.But there's something that I confused.
##m\frac {v^2} {r}=mg## how can these can be equal..weight must point downward and the other force is pointing inward...? I didnt quite understand the logic..I tried to understand but I couldnt

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation does not equate two different forces. The left hand side tells you the magnitude of the centripetal force required if the water is to move in a circle of radius r. The right hand side represents what actually provides that force at the top of the circle. If the right hand side of the equation was larger than the left the water would move in a circle that had a radius less than r (eg it would fall out).

Ohh,I see now Thanks..

So in order for the water to fall out...

mg > mv^2/r

In order for it to just stay in the jar..

mg = mv^2/r

Likes Arman777

Related to How Does Gravity Affect the Frequency Needed to Keep Water in a Jar on Mars?

1. What is an "Open Jar-Rotation Question"?

An "Open Jar-Rotation Question" is a type of question used in scientific research to investigate the effects of rotation on the contents of an open jar. It involves rotating the jar at different speeds and angles to observe how the contents behave.

2. Why is an "Open Jar-Rotation Question" important in scientific research?

Rotation is a fundamental force that affects many natural and man-made processes. By studying how rotation affects the contents of an open jar, scientists can gain insights into a wide range of phenomena, from ocean currents to the mixing of ingredients in a blender.

3. What types of experiments can be conducted with an "Open Jar-Rotation Question"?

There are many different types of experiments that can be conducted using an "Open Jar-Rotation Question". For example, scientists can investigate the effects of rotation on the separation of different substances in the jar, the formation of vortices, or the mixing of fluids with different viscosities.

4. How is an "Open Jar-Rotation Question" different from other types of scientific questions?

An "Open Jar-Rotation Question" is unique in that it specifically focuses on the effects of rotation on the contents of an open jar, rather than a broader topic. It also involves a hands-on experimental approach, rather than purely theoretical or observational methods.

5. What are some potential applications of research using "Open Jar-Rotation Questions"?

The findings from studies using "Open Jar-Rotation Questions" can have a wide range of applications in different fields. For example, understanding how rotation affects the behavior of fluids can have practical applications in industries such as food processing, pharmaceuticals, and environmental engineering.