How Does Gravity Affect the Maximum Height of a Thrown Ball?

• Thread starter needhelp?
  • Start date
In summary, the best way to ask for help with a question is to provide as much information as possible. This includes any attempts you have made to find the answer on your own. It is important to proofread your question and use specific and concise language to ensure clarity. It is completely acceptable to ask for help with a question you don't understand. If you don't receive a helpful answer, try rephrasing the question or seeking help from a different source. Showing gratitude can be as simple as saying thank you or offering to help in return.
needhelp?
Q1. A ball was thrown vertically into the air at a speed of 30m/s
a) Calculate the maximum height of the ball.
b) If the same ball was thrown on the Moon where gravity is one sixth of the gravity on Earth, what would be the maximum height now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just wondering... does the mass of the ball have any effect on the result(s)?

a) To calculate the maximum height of the ball, we can use the equation h = (v^2*sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity (30m/s in this case), θ is the angle of projection (in this case, it is 90 degrees as the ball is thrown vertically), and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2 on Earth).
Substituting the values, we get h = (30^2*sin^2(90))/2*9.8 = 45.918m. Therefore, the maximum height of the ball is approximately 45.918 meters.

b) On the Moon, the acceleration due to gravity is one sixth of that on Earth, i.e. 1.63m/s^2. Using the same equation, we get h = (30^2*sin^2(90))/2*1.63 = 561.47m. Therefore, the maximum height of the ball on the Moon would be approximately 561.47 meters. This is significantly higher than the maximum height on Earth due to the lower gravity on the Moon.

Related to How Does Gravity Affect the Maximum Height of a Thrown Ball?

1. What is the best way to ask for help with a question?

The best way to ask for help with a question is to provide as much information as possible about the question and any attempts you have made to find the answer on your own. This will help others understand the question and provide a more accurate answer.

2. How can I make sure my question is clear and easy to understand?

One way to make sure your question is clear and easy to understand is to proofread it before asking for help. Also, try to use specific and concise language to describe the problem or question.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with a question I don't understand?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with a question you don't understand. It's important to seek assistance when needed in order to fully understand the concept or problem.

4. What should I do if I don't receive a helpful answer to my question?

If you don't receive a helpful answer to your question, you can try rephrasing the question or providing more information. You can also try asking for help from a different source or reaching out to a tutor or instructor.

5. How can I show gratitude to someone who helps me with a question?

A simple thank you can go a long way in showing gratitude to someone who helps you with a question. You can also offer to help them with a question in return or leave a positive review or feedback for their assistance.