How Does Gravity on Planet Zircon Compare to Earth?

In summary, On the planet Zircon, an astronaut tosses a rock with a horizontal speed of 6.55 m/s. The rock falls 1.20 m vertically and lands 8.60 m horizontally from the astronaut. Using the formula for acceleration due to gravity, the value of g on Zircon can be determined to be 2*1.2*(6.55/8.60)2.
wadini
An astronaut on the planet Zircon tosses a rock horizontally with a speed of 6.55 m/s . The rock falls through a vertical distance of 1.20 m and lands a horizontal distance of 8.60 m from the astronaut. What is the acceleration of gravity on zicron?

I have no idea how to even start.

Physics news on Phys.org

i think x may be 8.60

okay so what I am thinking is that the Vinitial is 6.55 m/s and x=8.60 and form there I can find time

so I know I have to find time and then from there I can find acceleration but I don't know how to find time from what is given..?

wadini said:
An astronaut on the planet Zircon tosses a rock horizontally with a speed of 6.55 m/s . The rock falls through a vertical distance of 1.20 m and lands a horizontal distance of 8.60 m from the astronaut. What is the acceleration of gravity on zicron?

I have no idea how to even start.

On Earth it's

y = 1/2*g*t2

The time can be determined from

d/v = t

So on Zircon ...

1.2m = 1/2*Z*(d/v)2

or Z = 2*1.2*(v/d)2

FAQ: How Does Gravity on Planet Zircon Compare to Earth?

1. What is kinematics of rock on planet?

Kinematics of rock on planet refers to the study of the motion of rocks on a planetary surface. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of rocks as they move on the surface of a planet.

2. How is kinematics of rock on planet different from kinematics on Earth?

The principles of kinematics are the same on all planets, but the specific conditions and factors affecting the motion of rocks may differ. For example, the gravitational pull and atmospheric conditions may vary from planet to planet, leading to differences in the movement of rocks.

3. What factors affect the kinematics of rock on planet?

The kinematics of rock on planet can be affected by various factors such as the planet's gravity, atmospheric conditions, surface topography, and the composition and size of the rocks. Other factors such as weather and geological events can also play a role in the movement of rocks.

4. How do scientists study the kinematics of rock on planet?

Scientists use various methods to study the kinematics of rock on planet, including remote sensing techniques, satellite imagery, and field observations. They also use mathematical models and simulations to analyze and predict the movement of rocks on a planetary surface.

5. What applications does the study of kinematics of rock on planet have?

The study of kinematics of rock on planet has many practical applications, such as understanding the formation and evolution of planetary surfaces, predicting natural hazards such as landslides and rockfalls, and aiding in the planning and design of space missions and exploration activities on other planets.