How Does Heating Affect Pressure and Temperature in a Sealed Steam Container?

In summary, the problem involves a rigid vessel with steam at a pressure of 6 bar and a dryness fraction of 0.75. The task is to determine the pressure at which the steam becomes dry saturated, the temperature when the pressure reaches 10.0 bar, and the heat transfer to the steam in attaining state b. The solution involves finding the mass of liquid water and vapor in the vessel, and using linear interpolation to find the pressure at which the specific volume of the vapor is 0.2367. The specific volume of the combination of liquid and vapor remains constant throughout the process.
steve2510

Homework Statement

A rigid vessel of volume 2.5 m3 contains steam at a pressure of 6 bar and a dryness fraction of 0.75. If the contents of the vessel are heated, determine:
i) the pressure at which the steam becomes dry saturated,

ii) the temperature of the steam when the pressure reaches 10.0 bar,

iii) the heat transfer to the steam in attaining state b).

Homework Equations

Just notation
Vg= specific volume of saturated vapour

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm just really confused about this question
Firstly its rigid so i know that the volume is a constant.
So surely when the steam becomes dry saturated M*Vg = 2.5m^3
To find mass i did 0.75 x Vg at 6 bar, i found this in steam tables to be 0.3156
Vg = 0.2367 so mass of wet vapour = 2.5/0.2367 = 10.56 Kg, but mass of the whole contents is 10.56/0.75 = 14.08 kg
When the steam becomes dry saturated M*vg = 2.5 so 2.5/14.08 = Vg
Vg= 0.1775, vg@11 bar = 0.1774 so i made the conclusion that it must be at 11 bar.

I then took a glance at my teachers solution he put up today, he has done something a lot different.
He stated that Vg=0.75x0.3156 as did i.
∴Vg = 0.2367
He then stated that this Vg lies between 8 and 9 bar on the steam tables
So he did this:
@9 bar vg = 0.2149
@8 bar vg= 0.2403
P=0.2403-0.2367/0.2403-0.2149 = 0.14
So P = 8.14 Bar.
I really don't follow what he's done here, i don't see any equation I've been given in this form.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your teacher is doing a linear interpolation to find the pressure at which vg = 0.2367.
He is assuming that the saturation line between P = 8 bar and P = 9 bar is a straight line.

So with linear interpolation :

img2.gif

d is the variable i want, ie pressure.
g is the variable I've been given vg

D1=8 bar
D2=9 bar
G1=0.2403
G2=0.2149
G=0.2367

8+(0.2367-0.2403/0.2149-0.2403)*(9-8) = 8.142

I don't see why the specific volume wouldn't change, surely when it becomes a dry vapour its volume will change?

I'm not sure, but I don't think you did it quite right. Let M be the total mass of liquid water plus vapor in the vessel. Then, initially, the mass of liquid water is 0.25M, and the mass of vapor is 0.75M. Let vil represent the initial saturated specific volume of the liquid water and viv represent the initial saturated specific volume of the vapor. Then,

0.25Mvil+0.75Mviv=2.5

This allows you to solve for the total mass of water in the vessel.

The final specific volume is M/2.5

Honestly my first instincts was to do this. Whats confused me in my teacher solution is that he's said the specific volume of the initial condition(where there is a dryness fraction) will be constant through the whole process as it goes from 8 bar and to 10 bar. But surely the specific volume can still change even if it is rigid, as the temperature increases and decreases the dryness fraction is going to change, at which one point it will be 1 and hence the specific volume will be its maximum value?

steve2510 said:
Honestly my first instincts was to do this. Whats confused me in my teacher solution is that he's said the specific volume of the initial condition(where there is a dryness fraction) will be constant through the whole process as it goes from 8 bar and to 10 bar. But surely the specific volume can still change even if it is rigid, as the temperature increases and decreases the dryness fraction is going to change, at which one point it will be 1 and hence the specific volume will be its maximum value?

What he is saying is that the specific volume of the combination of liquid and vapor (i.e., averaged over the liquid and vapor) does not change.

Chestermiller said:
I'm not sure, but I don't think you did it quite right. Let M be the total mass of liquid water plus vapor in the vessel. Then, initially, the mass of liquid water is 0.25M, and the mass of vapor is 0.75M. Let vil represent the initial saturated specific volume of the liquid water and viv represent the initial saturated specific volume of the vapor. Then,

0.25Mvil+0.75Mviv=2.5

This allows you to solve for the total mass of water in the vessel.

The final specific volume is M/2.5

Oops. In this post, I meant to write that the final specific volume is 2.5/M, not M/2.5.

Related to How Does Heating Affect Pressure and Temperature in a Sealed Steam Container?

1. What is a rigid vessel in thermodynamics?

A rigid vessel is a closed container or system that does not allow for any changes in volume or shape. This means that the volume and pressure of the system remain constant, and the system is considered to be in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium.

2. How does a rigid vessel affect thermodynamic processes?

A rigid vessel plays a crucial role in thermodynamic processes by providing a constant volume and pressure for the system. This allows for the study and analysis of various thermodynamic properties, such as temperature, internal energy, and entropy, without any external interference.

3. Can a rigid vessel be used for all thermodynamic processes?

No, a rigid vessel is only suitable for processes that involve a constant volume and pressure. For processes that involve changes in volume or shape, a flexible vessel or an open system may be more appropriate.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to a rigid vessel?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In a rigid vessel, the internal energy of the system remains constant, so any changes in energy are due to energy transfer between the system and its surroundings.

5. What is the significance of a rigid vessel in thermodynamic experiments?

A rigid vessel is essential in thermodynamic experiments as it allows for the control and manipulation of the system's properties. By keeping the volume and pressure constant, researchers can accurately measure and analyze the changes in other thermodynamic variables, providing valuable insights into the behavior of the system.