How Does Hovercraft Speed Affect Race Time on a Bowl-Shaped Track?

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
In summary, the hovercraft races are very boring because the craft takes the same amount of time to circle the track no matter what its speed. The company hired an engineer to design and build the track, but he left the country when he realized that the track design did not make the races interesting. Newton's law of motion and the forces acting on the hovercraft explain the lap time.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

[/B]
The "Eureka Hovercraft Corporation" wanted to hold hovercraft races as an advertising stunt. The hovercraft supports itself by blowing air downward, and has a big fixed propeller on the top deck for forward propulsion. Unfortunately, it has no steering equipment, so that the pilots found that making high speed turns was very difficult. The company decided to overcome this problem by designing a bowl-shaped track in which the hovercraft, once up to speed, would coast along in a circular path with no need to steer. They hired an engineer to design and build the track, and when he finished, he hastily left the country. When the company held their first race, they found to their dismay that the craft took exactly the same time T to circle the track, no matter what its speed. Find the equation for the cross section of the bowl in terms of T.

Homework Equations

Newton's law of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

Hard to start!
I wanted to work in polar coordinates to deal with circular motion, and at the end, once I find ##\theta##, go to cartesian coordinates so that ## y(t) = x(t) \tan(\theta(t)) ##.
Since the instructions say that for any time ##t##: ## T = \frac{2\pi R}{v(t)} ##; and since in circular motion ##v(t) =R \dot\theta ##, I am tempted to say that ##\theta(t) = 2\pi \frac{t}{T}##, but it does not explain why the engineer left the country.
I tried to draw forces in order to find a relationship between them, ##T##, and ##\theta## (or ##\tan(\theta)##).
I think there should be a reaction force ##\vec N## from the track radially, a propulsion force ##\vec F## tangentially, and a projection of the weight ##\vec W## tangentially and radially. With Newton's law of motion, I get :
##ma_r = -N - W\sin(\theta)##
##ma_\theta = F - W\cos(\theta)##
After reducing, I get
## F = mg \cos(\theta) ##
## N = m (\frac{4R\pi^2}{T^2} - g\sin(\theta)) ##

and now I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean by "radially" or "tangentially"? Best draw a cross section of the track and show the forces.

The reaction force will be normal to the surface at that point. The exact direction depends on the slope of the track which may vary with height.
There will be a centripetal force because it's a circular track.
Weight acts vertically.
There is no friction.

The hovercraft doesn't slide up or down the banking so the sum of these forces must add up to zero.

PS: He left the country because he realized his track design created very boring races.

Hello,

Sorry, I don't know how to make drawings on my PC, and I think I misunderstand the problem:
Why do you say the hovercraft is not sliding? I thought that the purpose was to make it slide circularly like a roller-coaster.

PS: By "radially" I mean along the radius, and by "tangentially", I mean along the tangent.

Consider a car going around a banked track at a fixed speed. A component of gravity tends to make it slide down the banking. At the same time a component of centrifugal force (yes I know it's fictional/virtual) tends to make it slide up the banking. If one is greater than the other the driver will have to turn the steering wheel to compensate. Normally there is one optimal speed at which these forces are in balance and at that speed the driver can take his hands off the steering wheel.

In the case of the hovercraft there is no steering wheel so it must always go around the track at this optimum speed or it will slide up or down the banking.

Edit: The problem states that the lap time is always the same so the speed must depend on the circumference. If the speed varies with circumference then the bank angle may also have to vary with circumference and the equation for the cross section won't be a straight line.

Last edited:
PS: By "radially" I mean along the radius, and by "tangentially", I mean along the tangent.

Ok but the normal force only acts radially when viewed from above the track. When viewed from behind the hovercraft it's normal to the surface of the track which is banked.

Banked_Curve.png

Thank you soooo much, I had completely misunderstood the problem and would have never got it without your drawing !

Therefore you have a radial acceleration which is ##a_x = \frac{4\pi^2}{T^2}x##, and a vertical constraint ##\ddot y = 0 ##.
By your explanation and Newton laws you get that ##\tan(\theta) = \frac{4\pi^2}{gT^2}x##. In the end, since ## \tan(\theta(t)) = \frac{dy}{dx} ##, we get by integration

## y(t) = \frac{2\pi^2}{gT^2}{x(t)}^2##

Right?

Last edited:
oops posted work in progress.

Back soon.

why not by
##- m a_x = \frac{mv^2}{x} = F sin(\theta) ##
## 0 = F\cos(\theta)-mg ##
??

geoffrey159 said:
Thank you soooo much, I had completely misunderstood the problem and would have never got it without your drawing !
Therefore you have a radial acceleration which is ##a_x = \frac{4\pi^2}{T^2}x##, and a vertical constraint ##\ddot y = 0 ##.
By your explanation and Newton laws you get that ##\tan(\theta) = \frac{4\pi^2}{gT^2}x##.

Yes. Not sure how you got the expression for "radial acceleration" but I got there from..

##mgSin(\theta) - \frac{mv^2}{x}Cos(\theta) = 0##.....(1)
and
##v = \frac{2x\pi}{T}##......(2)

Rearrange (1) to give
##\frac{Sin(\theta)}{Cos(\theta)} = \frac{v^2}{gx}##
Now..
##\frac{Sin(\theta)}{Cos(\theta)} = Tan(\theta)##
so
##Tan(\theta) = \frac{v^2}{gx}##
substituting for v using (2) gives same equation as you..
##Tan(\theta) = \frac{4\pi^2}{gT^2}x##

In the end, since ## \tan(\theta(t)) = \frac{dy}{dx} ##, we get by integration
## y(t) = \frac{2\pi^2}{gT^2}{x(t)}^2##
Right?

It's been years since I last did any integration but I don't expect the equation for the curve to be a function of time?

I believe that should be just..

## y(x) = \frac{2\pi^2}{gT^2}{x}^2##

Thanks for your help!
My integration skills are low these days :-)
"radial acceleration" is the acceleration in radius direction. It is ##-\frac{v^2}{x}## because the motion is circular.

Related to How Does Hovercraft Speed Affect Race Time on a Bowl-Shaped Track?

1. What is a hovercraft?

A hovercraft is a vehicle that is supported by a cushion of air, allowing it to travel smoothly over both land and water.

2. How does a hovercraft work?

A hovercraft works by using a large fan to create a cushion of air underneath the vehicle. This air cushion reduces friction and allows the hovercraft to move over any surface without much resistance.

3. What are the applications of hovercrafts?

Hovercrafts have many applications, including transportation for both civilian and military purposes, search and rescue operations, and recreational activities such as racing and sightseeing tours.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a hovercraft?

One major disadvantage of hovercrafts is their high fuel consumption, making them less environmentally friendly compared to other forms of transportation. They also require a flat and open surface to operate effectively, limiting their use in certain terrains.

5. How do hovercrafts compare to other types of vehicles?

Hovercrafts have several advantages over traditional land and water vehicles, such as their ability to travel over any surface without the need for roads or waterways. They also have a high level of maneuverability and can reach higher speeds than most boats. However, they are generally more expensive and complex to operate and maintain.