How does increasing potential difference affect the magnetic force on electrons?

In summary, when the current in two parallel conductors is doubled, the magnitude of the magnetic force acting between them will quadruple. This can be calculated using the formula F=ILB, where I is the current, L is the distance between the conductors, and B represents the magnetic field, which can be calculated using another formula. The force will only double if all other variables, including B, remain constant. In the second conversation, the potential difference between the filament and the plate does not affect the force of the magnetic field on the electrons. The potential difference is the only factor that changes in this scenario, so the force will remain the same.
MIA6
1.Two long, straight, parallel conductors carry equal currents and are spaced 1.0 meter apart. If the current in each conductor is doubled, the magnitude o the magnetic force acting between the conductors will be 1)Doubled 4) quadrupled.
I chose 2 because I used the formula is F=ILB, so if I is doubled, then 2F=2ILB, F doubled as well, but the answer was 4), I didn’t use d=1 in that formula, so is there any other formula which includes d between two conductors?

2. Assume the magnetic field produced by the magnet and the electric field produced by plates X and Y remain constant. If the potential difference between the filament and the plate is increased, the force of the magnetic field on the electrons will
1) increase 2) decrease or 3) remain the same
I don’t understand why potential difference V matters the force? And what does it mean by filament?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MIA6,

MIA6 said:
1.Two long, straight, parallel conductors carry equal currents and are spaced 1.0 meter apart. If the current in each conductor is doubled, the magnitude o the magnetic force acting between the conductors will be 1)Doubled 4) quadrupled.
I chose 2 because I used the formula is F=ILB, so if I is doubled, then 2F=2ILB, F doubled as well, but the answer was 4), I didn’t use d=1 in that formula, so is there any other formula which includes d between two conductors?

Call them wire 1 and wire 2. You are looking at the force on wire 1, and the I in that equation is the current of wire 1. What does B in that formula represent? and is there another formula for it?

(There are other ways to get this answer, but your approach will work fine.)

alphysicist said:
Hi MIA6,

Call them wire 1 and wire 2. You are looking at the force on wire 1, and the I in that equation is the current of wire 1. What does B in that formula represent? and is there another formula for it?

(There are other ways to get this answer, but your approach will work fine.)

But my approach was wrong in this case. It's supposed to quadruple, but mine doubled.

MIA6 said:
But my approach was wrong in this case. It's supposed to quadruple, but mine doubled.

No, your approach will work, you just did not figure in all the changes. Your equation is:

[tex]
F=ILB
[/tex]

so you saw that I will double and L will stay the same. But what happens to B? It does not stay the same, and so my question was what is B? What is creating it in this case, and what other equation describes it?

Related to How does increasing potential difference affect the magnetic force on electrons?

1. What is a B field?

The B field, also known as the magnetic flux density, is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic field around a magnet or a current-carrying wire. It is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How does a B field interact with conductors?

A B field can induce an electric current in a conductor, which is known as electromagnetic induction. This occurs when the conductor cuts through the B field, causing electrons to move and creating a current. Similarly, a current in a conductor can create a B field around it.

3. What is the difference between a B field and an electric field?

A B field is produced by moving electric charges, while an electric field is produced by stationary electric charges. Additionally, the B field is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction, while the electric field is a scalar quantity with only magnitude.

4. How do conductors affect the strength of a B field?

Conductors can shield or redirect a B field. When a conductor is placed in a B field, the electrons in the conductor will rearrange to counteract the B field and create an opposing B field inside the conductor. This can reduce the strength of the B field in the surrounding area.

5. Can a B field pass through a conductor?

Yes, a B field can pass through a conductor. However, the conductor may affect the strength or direction of the B field. In general, conductors are not as permeable to B fields as materials like air or vacuum, so some of the B field may be redirected or absorbed by the conductor.

Back