How Does Increasing Rotation Frequency Affect Centripetal Force?

In summary: V = 7,506.53m/sTherefore, the speed of the satellite orbiting at a height of 700km above the Earth's surface is 7,506.53m/s.
SHENGTON
Hello guys, good morning. :)

I need your help regarding Circular Motion. I'm hoping that someone will help me heartily with this.

These are the following problems:
1. When the radius and mass are held constant, what do you expect to happen to the centripetal force if the frequency of rotation is increased?

2. Determine the speed of the satellite orbiting at a height of 700km above the Earth's surface.

mass of Earth = 5.98 x 10^24kg
radius of Earth = 6.38 x 10^6m

3. How much centripetal acceleration is produced when the object rotates 40 times a second with 4.89m radius? Also compute for the tangential velocity.

That's all guys. Hope you can help me with these. Thanks advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
SHENGTON said:
Hello guys, good morning. :)

I need your help regarding Circular Motion. I'm hoping that someone will help me heartily with this.

These are the following problems:
1. When the radius and mass are held constant, what do you expect to happen to the centripetal force if the frequency of rotation is increased?

2. Determine the speed of the satellite orbiting at a height of 700km above the Earth's surface.

mass of Earth = 5.98 x 10^24kg
radius of Earth = 6.38 x 10^6m

3. How much centripetal acceleration is produced when the object rotates 40 times a second with 4.89m radius? Also compute for the tangential velocity.

That's all guys. Hope you can help me with these. Thanks advance.

What are your attempts on the questions? What equations do you need to use?

For the first one, how does centripetal force relate to the frequency of rotation?

For the second one, what is providing the centripetal force needed to keep the satellite in orbit?

Hello rock.freak667, good morning. :)

Thanks for replying my post Sir. Actually, I really don't know Sir. I don't know how will I answer you questions about my homework. Because I'm kinda late with this topic because I'm on the tour when they discussed this. I'm a 3rd year student and my classmates are 1st year. So it's a bit favor with them because I'm on the tour with my other 3rd year batch here in the Philippines.

SHENGTON said:
Hello rock.freak667, good morning. :)

Thanks for replying my post Sir. Actually, I really don't know Sir. I don't know how will I answer you questions about my homework. Because I'm kinda late with this topic because I'm on the tour when they discussed this. I'm a 3rd year student and my classmates are 1st year. So it's a bit favor with them because I'm on the tour with my other 3rd year batch here in the Philippines.

Wikipedia explains it well

Read it, see if you can grasp the concepts and are able to get started on the questions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_circular_motion"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello rock.freak667.

Thanks again for replying my post. Here's what I got:

Answer:
The centripetal force will also increase (force = m x (v^2/radius))

2. Determine the speed of the satellite orbiting at a height of 700km above the Earth's surface. The mass of Earth is 5.98 x 10^24kg and the radius of Earth is 6.38 x 10^6m.

Answer:
g(h)=g(0)*(R/(R+h))^2 where g(0)=9.81
g(700)=7.966
v=radical(rg)=7510 m/s

Answer:
Compute for Tangential Velocity:
Tangential Velocity = frequency x 2pi x radius
Tangential Velocity = 40 x 2pi x 4.89 = 251.327
Tangential Velocity = 251.327 x 4.89 = 1228.99 m/s

Compute for Centripetal Acceleration:
Centripetal Acceleration = tangential velocity^2 / radius
Centripetal Acceleration = 1228.99 m/s^2 / 4.89
Centripetal Acceleration = 308878.6135 m/s^2 or 308879 m/s^2

I think number 1 and 3 are already OK. But I'm bit confuse with number 2 (red color). I just copy the answer of number 2 from Yahoo Answers. I don't understand what is g(0), R, and h. What are these? Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks advance.

SHENGTON said:
Hello rock.freak667.

Thanks again for replying my post. Here's what I got:

Answer:
The centripetal force will also increase (force = m x (v^2/radius))

While this answer is correct, the asked for the frequency of rotation ω, so remember that v=rω, so put that back into your equation for centripetal force.

SHENGTON said:
2. Determine the speed of the satellite orbiting at a height of 700km above the Earth's surface. The mass of Earth is 5.98 x 10^24kg and the radius of Earth is 6.38 x 10^6m.

Answer:
g(h)=g(0)*(R/(R+h))^2 where g(0)=9.81
g(700)=7.966
v=radical(rg)=7510 m/s

Do you know Newton's law of gravitation? If you do, the gravitational force between the Earth and the satellite provides the centripetal force such that

Fgravitational=Fcentripetal

What is the gravitational force between the Earth and the satellite.

SHENGTON said:

Answer:
Compute for Tangential Velocity:
Tangential Velocity = frequency x 2pi x radius
Tangential Velocity = 40 x 2pi x 4.89 = 251.327
Tangential Velocity = 251.327 x 4.89 = 1228.99 m/s

Compute for Centripetal Acceleration:
Centripetal Acceleration = tangential velocity^2 / radius
Centripetal Acceleration = 1228.99 m/s^2 / 4.89
Centripetal Acceleration = 308878.6135 m/s^2 or 308879 m/s^2

this looks correct to me.

I don't know about the Newton's Law of Gravitation. Can you help me solve with this?

SHENGTON said:
I don't know about the Newton's Law of Gravitation. Can you help me solve with this?

The gravitational force between two point masses M and m separated by a distance r is given by

[tex]F= \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

Where G is the universal gravitational constant 6.67x10-11 Nm2/kg2

Here's my answer in number 2. Kindly check if the equation is correct.

Answer:
The force on the satellite due to the Earth is given by:
F = G(me * ms)/r^2

me = 5.98 x10^24 kg = 5,980,000,000,000,000,000,000,000kg
ms = mass of satellite
G = Gravitational Constant = 6.67 x 10^-11 N(m/kg)^2 = 0.0000000000667 N(m/kg)^2
r = 6.38 x10^6m + 700km x 1000m / 1km = 7,080,000m

Object moving in a circular motion will have force given by:
F = (ms * v^2)/r

Equating the equations:
“G(me*ms)/r^2 = (ms*v^2)/r” to “v = square root (G*me/r)”

V = sqrt (0.0000000000667N(m/kg)^2 x 5,980,000,000,000,000,000,000,000kg / 7,080,000m)
V = sqrt (56337005.64971751412429)
V = 7505.79813542287547472866
V = 7505.80m/s

Related to How Does Increasing Rotation Frequency Affect Centripetal Force?

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path, around a central point or axis. It involves a constant change in direction, but not necessarily a constant speed.

What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed along the circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed of the object is not constant, meaning it either speeds up or slows down at different points along the circular path.

What is centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity. In circular motion, the centripetal force is equal to the product of the object's mass, velocity, and the radius of the circular path.

What is angular velocity and how is it related to circular motion?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a central axis. In circular motion, the angular velocity is equal to the linear velocity divided by the radius of the circular path. It is measured in radians per second.

How is circular motion used in real life?

Circular motion is used in many real-life applications, such as amusement park rides, car and bicycle wheels, and celestial objects orbiting around a star or planet. It is also used in centrifuges for separating substances based on their density, and in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics.