How Does Indium Doping Affect Fermi Level and Carrier Concentrations in Silicon?

• Thread starter Larsson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levels
In summary, the conversation discusses the doping of a silicon sample with indium and the resulting effects on the electron acceptor level and fermi level. The question is raised about the impurity density needed to coincide the fermi level with the impurity level at 300K and what proportion of the acceptor levels would be filled. Additional information is given about the bandgap, effective mass, and mobility of the electrons and holes. The individual is struggling with understanding the concept of fermi level and how to calculate it, particularly in the case of a doped semiconductor. They also mention reverse engineering a solution to find the correct value for the fermi level, which is equal to the given acceptor level for indium. The person also
Larsson
A sample of silicon is doped with indium for which the electron acceptor level is 0.16eV above the top of the valence band. What impurity density would cause the fermi level to coincide with the impurity level at 300K? What fraction of the acceptor levels is then filled? What are the majority and minority carrier concentrations?

E_g = 1.1eV, m_e = 0.26m_0, m_h =0.39m_0, my_e = 0.15m^2/Vs, my_h = 0.05m^2/Vs

I suppose m_e and m_h is the effeicient mass of the electrones and holes
my is the mobility and E_g is the bandgap

I got that the electron concentration is given by
N_e = N_c * exp((-E_g-E_f)/kT) where N_c = 2*(2*pi*m_e*kT/h^2)^(3/2)
N_h = N_v * exp(-E_f/kT) where N_v = 2*(2*pi*m_h*kT/h^2)^(3/2)

I can get E_f = E_g/2 + 3/4 * kT*ln(m_h/m_e) my formula sheet says that this is true for an intrinic semiconductor. In my ears that sounds like an n-doped semiconductor. How do I know if this semoconductor is n-doped? The assignment only says that it's doped with indium.

My other problem is that I just stumble in the dark here. Sure I find some fornulas that I can use, but what for? I don't really understand what the fermielevel is and even less how I calculate "What impurity density would cause the fermi level to coincide with the impurity level"

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Since I couldn't get this right I did some backwards calculating. I have parts of a solution given, and there I could find the real value for N_e. And reverse engineering gave me that E_f = 0.16eV, whick is the given acceptor level for indium. This puzzles me since I tought the fermi energy should be the total energy from the lowest an electron can have up to the highest, and not the difference between the acceptors energy and the valence band.

This also tells me that E_f = E_g/2 + 3/4 * kT*ln(m_h/m_e) is not valid here (since it gives the wrong value), and this is probably since we don't have an intrinic semiconductor.

But I still stumble in the dark. What impurity density would cause the fermi level to coincide with the impurity level?

Seems like monologs teach me a lot, maby I can solve this by talking a bit more to my self :)

Related to How Does Indium Doping Affect Fermi Level and Carrier Concentrations in Silicon?

1. What is a Fermi level?

The Fermi level is a concept in physics that represents the energy level at which electrons have a 50% chance of being occupied in a material at absolute zero temperature.

2. How is the Fermi level determined?

The Fermi level is determined by the number of electrons in a material and the energy required to add or remove an electron from the material.

3. What is the significance of the Fermi level?

The position of the Fermi level determines the electrical and thermal properties of a material, such as its conductivity and heat capacity.

4. How does temperature affect the Fermi level?

As temperature increases, the Fermi level shifts towards higher energy levels as more electrons are excited and become available for conduction.

5. What is the relationship between the Fermi level and the band structure of a material?

The Fermi level lies in the middle of the band gap in insulators, at the top of the valence band in semiconductors, and at the bottom of the conduction band in metals.