How Does Initial Water Height Impact Thermal Expansion Calculations?

In summary, the conversation is about a lab on the Thermal Expansion of Water. The person went through the lab and collected data, but forgot to record the initial height of the water in the pipette. They provide links to images of the lab set up and the data they recorded. They ask for confirmation on the accuracy of their data and for the appropriate initial height of the water. The other person asks for clarification on the initial height and provides a formula to calculate it. The first person apologizes for the confusion and clarifies that the initial height is the height of the water at room temperature before it is cooled. They also mention that the water is compressed between 0-4 degrees Celsius. The conversation ends with a question about the formula
mlostrac

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm doing a lab on the Thermal Expansion of Water. I went through the whole lab and got good data based on the the proposed theory however I didn't record the initial height of the water in the pipette.

The set up looked like this: http://science.lms.athabascau.ca/file.php/20/images/exp2_pic04.jpg
http://science.lms.athabascau.ca/file.php/20/images/exp2_pic06.jpg
http://science.lms.athabascau.ca/file.php/20/images/exp2_pic07.jpg

Here's the data I recorded:
Temperature (C) vs height (cm)
1) 0.5 (^o C), 15.7 cm
2) 2.6, 15.6
3) 3.7, 15.5
4) 5.7, 15.6
5) 8.4, 15.7
6)10.1, 15.8
7)11.7, 15.9
8)13.8, 16
9)22.7, 16.5
10)28, 17

Since I'm doing this home lab, just want to make sure my numbers look good. And also, based on the numbers, what would be an appropriate initial height (of water in the pipette) be?

Physics news on Phys.org
The links are inaccessible to us. They require username and password.
Initial height? You mean the height at 0 C? Apply the formula: [tex]h=h(0)(1+\alpha \theta)[/tex], plot the graph [tex]h(\theta)[/tex] and you will find h(0).

Oops, sorry.No, I mean the initial height of the water before it is cooled (when it's at room temperature)

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/976/exp2pic06.jpg

That's the set up. The water is originally at room temp, and then ice and salt are added to the bowl surrounding the glass bottle

Last edited by a moderator:
Because from 0-4 C, water is compressed while temperature goes up, so leave the data from 0-4 C aside, as we only consider the expansion of water.
What's the formula of the proposed theory anyway?

Related to How Does Initial Water Height Impact Thermal Expansion Calculations?

1. What is thermal expansion of water?

Thermal expansion of water refers to the property of water to expand in volume as its temperature increases. This occurs due to the increase in the kinetic energy of the water molecules, causing them to move further apart.

2. How does temperature affect the volume of water?

An increase in temperature causes the volume of water to increase, while a decrease in temperature causes the volume to decrease. This is due to the expansion and contraction of the water molecules as the temperature changes.

3. Why does water expand when it freezes?

Unlike most substances, water expands when it freezes due to the unique structure of its molecules. When water freezes, the molecules form a crystalline structure that takes up more space than when they are in liquid form.

4. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for water?

The coefficient of thermal expansion for water is approximately 0.00021 per degree Celsius. This means that for every degree Celsius increase in temperature, water will expand by 0.00021 times its original volume.

5. How does thermal expansion of water affect objects immersed in it?

When objects are immersed in water, they will experience thermal expansion or contraction depending on the temperature of the water. This can cause changes in the shape or size of the object, which can be problematic for certain materials such as pipes or containers.