How Does Inverse Kinematics Benefit Cross-Section Measurements?

In summary, inverse kinematics is a technique used in scientific experiments to measure cross-sections or other properties of nuclei. It involves using a beam of one nucleus and a target of another, with the option to switch their roles. This method has advantages such as better beam/target availability and more favorable kinematics at high energies. It also allows for lower threshold energies to be measured, which can be beneficial in certain experiments.
EJIn
My question is what inverse kinematics is.
Many scientists are using inverse kinematics for measuring cross-section or something.
For example, suppose that we measure cross section of 14N+p->n+14O.
We can use N14 for beam and p for target. But, we can also do the other way.
When they use inverse kinematics, what advantages can they have?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few reasons to do an experiment in inverse kinematics.

The first is beam/target availability. Some nuclei are more appropriate to use as targets than as beams, or vice-versa. A good example is if one of the nuclei are radioactive - then generally that must be the beam.

The second reason is that of kinematics. If you have a heavy beam on a light target, everything is going to be forward focused, which can be beneficial for efficiency purposes, for example, if you want to wack everything into a mass spectrometer. Also, at high energies, doing an experiment in inverse kinematics ensures that all the products will leave the target, so you have a lower threshold.

Thank you for answering my question.
But, I wonder again that at high energies, all the products will leave the target, so you have a lower threshold.
I wonder how it can be done and why we can have a lower threshold.

Imagine you want to study the reaction at an energy of e.g. 100 keV, and for simplification let's assume the reaction does not need or release energy.
You can shoot a proton with an energy of 100 keV on nitrogen, then you get (typically) a neutron with about 5 keV and oxygen with 95 keV. At those energies both get stopped really fast, so you need an extremely thin target, and even then most of your products will lose some notable energy in the material.
You can also shoot nitrogen with an energy of 1.4 MeV on a proton, then you typically get a neutron with an energy of 100 keV and oxygen with an energy of about 1.3 MeV. That allows them to get out of the target much more easily.

At tens of GeV, everything will leave the target, sure, but the point of measuring the threshold energy is to have energies as low as possible.

Likes e.bar.goum
Thank you for answering my question.
I can understand it. Thanks

Related to How Does Inverse Kinematics Benefit Cross-Section Measurements?

1. What is inverse kinematics?

Inverse kinematics is a mathematical process used in robotics and animation to determine the movements of a robotic arm or animated character based on its desired end position. It involves calculating the joint angles and positions necessary to reach a specific point in space.

2. How is inverse kinematics different from forward kinematics?

Forward kinematics involves determining the position and orientation of the end effector (hand or tool) of a robot or animated character based on the given joint angles. Inverse kinematics, on the other hand, involves finding the joint angles and positions needed to reach a specific end position.

3. What are the applications of inverse kinematics?

Inverse kinematics is commonly used in robotics and animation for tasks such as path planning, collision avoidance, and trajectory generation. It is also used in virtual reality and motion capture technology.

4. What are the challenges of implementing inverse kinematics?

The main challenge of implementing inverse kinematics is solving the complex mathematical equations involved. This requires advanced knowledge of mathematics and programming. In addition, it can be difficult to account for real-world constraints such as joint limits and physical limitations.

5. How is inverse kinematics used in humanoid robots?

Inverse kinematics is essential in the movement of humanoid robots as it enables them to perform precise and coordinated movements. It also allows them to adapt to different environments and tasks, such as walking on various terrains or grasping objects with different shapes and sizes.

Back