How Does Linear Charge Density Affect Electric Field Calculation?

In summary, the wire has a shape given by y = acos(x/L) and a linear charge density of +λ. The electric field at the point (0,y) where y > a is desired to be determined. Part (a) asks for the amount of charge the wire has if a=0. The answer is given by length * linear charge density = charge. In part (b), it is asked whether the total charge on the wire is greater than, less than, or equal to the charge when a = 0. The answer is that the total charge would be greater than if a = 0 because the wire would be longer if a > 0. In part (c), it is asked whether there is
kahlua13

Homework Statement

This is a wire whose shape is given by y = acos(x/L). This wire has a linear charge density of +λ, and is it desired to determine the electric field at the point (0,y) where y > a.

media%2F118%2F118d874a-71b1-4e05-b955-ff399103b3c0%2FphpLl09z5.png

a) If a=0, determine the amount of charge the wire has.

b)If a > 0, is the total charge on this wire greater than, less than, or equal to the charge when a = 0. Why?

c) If a > 0, is there any statement you can make about the electric field at the POI? Why or why not?

d) a > 0. Locate a point on the wire. What are its coordinates?

e) If I want to move along the wire a small distance, ds,away from this point. Give the x and y-components of ds.

f) Construct, but do not evaluate, the expression for the electric field at the POI. Give enough detail to explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

linear charge density = charge/length

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to answer a-d.
For part A, length * linear charge density = charge
For part B, because the wire would be longer if a > 0, the total charge would be greater than if a = 0.
For part C, I believe the answer is that the x-components of the E-field will cancel, allowing us to use only the y-component to calculate the electric field.

However I really don't know where to start with part E! My chosen point is (0,a)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF.

Your answers to (a), (b), and (c) look good.

I suspect for part (d) that you are meant to choose an arbitrary point on the wire rather than the special point (0, a). How would you express the coordinates of the arbitrary point? Keeping in mind your objective in part (f), try to express the coordinates of the point in a way that will be most helpful when you get to (f).

I think that for (e) you are supposed to consider ##ds## as a little displacement that has x and y components. The length ##ds## can then be constructed from these components. You should express the x and y components of ##ds## in a way that will be helpful for part (f).

FAQ: How Does Linear Charge Density Affect Electric Field Calculation?

1. What is linear charge density?

Linear charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit length along a line or a one-dimensional object. It is denoted by the symbol λ and has units of coulombs per meter (C/m).

2. How is linear charge density calculated?

Linear charge density is calculated by dividing the total electric charge along a line by the length of the line. This can be expressed as λ = Q/L, where Q is the total charge and L is the length of the line.

3. What is the SI unit for linear charge density?

The SI unit for linear charge density is coulombs per meter (C/m).

4. How does linear charge density affect electric field strength?

Linear charge density is directly proportional to electric field strength. This means that as linear charge density increases, the electric field strength also increases.

5. What are some real-life examples of linear charge density?

Linear charge density can be seen in the wires of an electrical circuit, where the charge is distributed along the length of the wire. It can also be seen in antennas, where the charge is concentrated along the length of the antenna.