How Does Magnetic Flux and Peak EMF Relate in a Solenoid-Coil System?

A = pi*R^2 = 0.7In summary, a coil consisting of 5 turns of wire in the shape of a square with a length of 5cm on each side is located at the center of a long solenoid with a radius of 15cm and 5x10^7 turns per meter. The solenoid carries a current of 16A and the coil is coaxial with the solenoid. To find the magnetic flux passing through each loop of the coil, we use the equation flux = NiA, where N is the number of turns, i is the current, and A is the area. Plugging in the values, we get a flux of 2.5
champ0342
A coil is located at the center of a long solenoid of radius R = 15cm which has 5x10^7 turns per meter and carries a current I = 16A. The coil is coaxial with the solenoid and consists of 5 turns of wire each in the shape of a square of length a = 5cm on each side.What is the magnetic flux passing through each loop of the coil? If the current in the solenoid is not constan but varies as I=Im cos wt, where I am = 16A and w = 10rad/sec, find the peak emf induced in the coil.

I would like to offer relevant equations but I don't think I have any. I have tried the equations I thought were relevant without coming up with the correct equation

flux = NiA -> 16*.05*5=4 but the correct answer is 2.5. I haven't even got a clue about peak emf...

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnetic field B at the center of a long solenoid is mu_0*n*I, where mu_0 = 4*pi*10^-7. And flux = B*A

Related to How Does Magnetic Flux and Peak EMF Relate in a Solenoid-Coil System?

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and its unit is Weber (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) that the field passes through, and by the cosine of the angle between the field and the area. This can be represented as Φ = B*A*cos(θ).

3. What is peak EMF?

Peak EMF, or peak electromotive force, is the maximum voltage that can be induced in a coil of wire when it is rotated in a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol ε and its unit is Volt (V).

4. How is peak EMF related to magnetic flux?

Peak EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. This means that the larger the change in magnetic flux, the higher the peak EMF will be.

5. How is magnetic flux and peak EMF used in practical applications?

Magnetic flux and peak EMF are used in many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. They are also important in understanding the principles of electromagnetic induction, which is the basis for many technologies, including wireless charging and power transmission.