How Does Mass Loss Influence Orbital Expansion?

• Thread starter accalternata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mass loss
accalternata
Homework Statement
How much do you expect the Earth-Sun system to expand over the 10 Gyr
main-sequence lifetime of the Sun, given that the Sun is losing mass in the form of
light? And how much
given the mass-loss rate of 3×10−14 M⊙ yr−1 associated with the solar wind?
Relevant Equations
See below
1.PNG
2.PNG

I need help with d) and e).
Currently how I've approached it is by using the fact that e=mc^2 and I can correlate this emission of light with loss of mass.

Then I can use the formulas in a) to correlate this with da/dt. I'm struggling to figure out what the rate of energy loss is though.

Physics news on Phys.org
accalternata said:
I'm struggling to figure out what the rate of energy loss is though.
Have you tried the reference given in the question?

Related to How Does Mass Loss Influence Orbital Expansion?

1. How does mass loss in a star affect its gravitational pull?

Mass loss in a star reduces its gravitational pull because the gravitational force is directly proportional to the mass of the star. As the star loses mass, the force it exerts on surrounding objects, including planets, diminishes, which can lead to changes in their orbits.

2. Why does orbital expansion occur when a star loses mass?

Orbital expansion occurs because the reduced gravitational pull from the mass-losing star means that the planets or other objects in orbit around it experience a weaker force. This weaker force allows the objects to drift outward, increasing their orbital radius and causing the orbits to expand.

3. Can mass loss from a star cause a planet to escape its orbit?

Yes, if a star loses a significant amount of mass, the reduction in gravitational pull can be substantial enough for a planet to escape its orbit entirely. This typically happens if the mass loss is rapid or if the planet's orbit becomes highly eccentric.

4. What role does the rate of mass loss play in orbital expansion?

The rate of mass loss is crucial in determining the extent of orbital expansion. A slow, steady mass loss allows planets to gradually adjust their orbits, often resulting in stable, expanded orbits. Rapid mass loss, on the other hand, can cause more dramatic changes and potentially destabilize the orbits, leading to more chaotic outcomes.

5. How do astronomers measure the impact of mass loss on orbital expansion?

Astronomers measure the impact of mass loss on orbital expansion by observing changes in the orbital parameters of planets and other objects over time. This includes tracking changes in the orbital radius, period, and eccentricity. They also use models and simulations to predict how mass loss will influence orbits based on the mass loss rate and other stellar properties.