How Does Maxwell's Current Term Suggest Light is an Electromagnetic Wave?

In summary: Therefore, the same process should apply to light, which is just a varying magnetic field that produces a varying electric field. This supports the idea that light is an electromagnetic wave. In summary, the current term added by Maxwell to Ampere's law suggests that light must be an electromagnetic wave due to the relationship between a varying magnetic field and a varying electric field, which is also seen in the higher frequency spectrum of EM waves, such as light.
commelion
yo

ok progress on the electromagnetic wave front is progressing nicely...finally, but

i have stumbled on a area that i need some help with. see below

when maxwell took amperes law, he added what's known locally ! as the current term, this was done because he realized that a changing magnetic field gives rise to an electric field.

Q how does this current term suggest that light must be an electromagnetic wave ?

if anyone has any consise explanations i would appreciate it, i don't need the maths as i have them in front of me. just think of it as a table quiz kind of answer !

thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
commelion said:
yo

ok progress on the electromagnetic wave front is progressing nicely...finally, but

i have stumbled on a area that i need some help with. see below

when maxwell took amperes law, he added what's known locally ! as the current term, this was done because he realized that a changing magnetic field gives rise to an electric field.

Q how does this current term suggest that light must be an electromagnetic wave ?

if anyone has any consise explanations i would appreciate it, i don't need the maths as i have them in front of me. just think of it as a table quiz kind of answer !

thanks in advance

Light is just EM wave in much higher frequency spectrum. It is a frequency thing. I am not good enough to explain in plain English, from my understanding:

[tex]\nabla \times \vec H= \vec J +\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial \vec E}{\partial t}\;\Rightarrow \int_c \vec H\cdot d\vec l = I_ C+I_D\;\;\hbox { where it is conduction current and displacement current respectively.}[/tex]

This just said a varying conduction and/or displacement current will produce a varying magnetic field. Which in turn the varying magnetic field will be accompanied with a varying electric field by:

[tex]\nabla \times \vec E =-\frac {\partial \vec B}{\partial t}[/tex]

But nothing is said about the frequency. As said, light is just the upper range of the EM wave frequency.

FAQ: How Does Maxwell's Current Term Suggest Light is an Electromagnetic Wave?

1. What are the Maxwell equations?

The Maxwell equations, also known as Maxwell's equations, are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to the study of electromagnetism.

2. What is the significance of the Maxwell equations?

The Maxwell equations are considered a cornerstone of modern physics and have had a profound impact on our understanding of electricity, magnetism, and their relationship. They have also played a crucial role in the development of technology, including the invention of radio, television, and many other electronic devices.

3. What are the four equations that make up the Maxwell equations?

The four Maxwell equations are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law of induction, and Ampere's law with Maxwell's correction. These equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, how they interact with each other, and how they are affected by electric charges and currents.

4. How are the Maxwell equations used in scientific research?

The Maxwell equations are used extensively in scientific research, particularly in the fields of electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. They provide a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena, and have been used to make significant advancements in areas such as telecommunications, energy, and materials science.

5. Are the Maxwell equations still considered valid today?

Yes, the Maxwell equations are still considered valid today and are widely used in modern physics. While they have been refined and expanded upon over time, they continue to accurately describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and have not been disproven by any experimental evidence.