How Does Moving a Metal Rod in a Magnetic Field Induce Current?

In summary, a metal rod with a mass of 0.22 kg is placed on two parallel conducting rails with a distance of 0.52 m between them on a tabletop. A 3.0 W resistor is connected to the left ends of the rails. The rod and rails have negligible resistance but significant friction with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20. There is a magnetic field of 0.80 T perpendicular to the plane of the tabletop. A string pulls the rod to the right with a constant speed of 1.8 m/s. The problem involves calculating the magnitude of the current induced in the loop formed by the rod, the rails, and the resistor (a), the magnitude of the force required to
science.girl

Homework Statement

A metal rod of mass 0.22 kg lies across two parallel conducting rails that are a distance of 0.52 m apart on a tabletop, as shown in the top view above. A 3.0 W resistor is connected across the left ends of the rails. The rod and rails have negligible resistance but significant friction with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20. There is a magnetic field of 0.80 T perpendicular to the plane of the tabletop. A string pulls the metal rod to the right with a constant speed of 1.8 m/s.

(a) Calculate the magnitude of the current induced in the loop formed by the rod, the rails, and the resistor.
(b) Calculate the magnitude of the force required to pull the rod to the right with constant speed.
(c) Calculate the energy dissipated in the resistor in 2.0 s.
(d) Calculate the work done by the string pulling the rod in 2.0 s.
(e) Compare your answers to parts (c) and (d). Provide a physical explanation for why they are equal or unequal.

Page 10 on this document: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap09_frq_physics_b.pdf

Homework Equations

I =V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I = V/R?
I'm a bit confused... there seems to be an overload of information on this problem. I would appreciate some direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Won't the induced current be proportional to the rate of the change of flux in a loop of wire? Consider then the rate of change of the area.

LowlyPion said:
Won't the induced current be proportional to the rate of the change of flux in a loop of wire? Consider then the rate of change of the area.

Oh gosh... I do recall doing something like this. I'll try to find my notes...

Ok, I found two things that are potentially relevant. I have magnetic flux (BAcos[tex]\theta[/tex]) and mortional emf (Blv).

Are any of these remotely correct?

I am not an expert but personally, I would look into Ampere's law, Faraday's law and biot-savart law (not sure on the latter).

science.girl said:
Oh gosh... I do recall doing something like this. I'll try to find my notes...

Ok, I found two things that are potentially relevant. I have magnetic flux (BAcos[tex]\theta[/tex]) and mortional emf (Blv).

Are any of these remotely correct?

Yeah, well what is the rate of change of the area of the loop? A = w*Δx

Won't the voltage be something like

V = Δ(B*A)/Δt

With B constant and ΔA/Δt = w*Δx/Δt = w*v

then won't

Voltage = B*w*v

The resistance is fixed at 3Ω.

LowlyPion said:
Yeah, well what is the rate of change of the area of the loop? A = w*Δx

Won't the voltage be something like

V = Δ(B*A)/Δt

With B constant and ΔA/Δt = w*Δx/Δt = w*v

then won't

Voltage = B*w*v

The resistance is fixed at 3Ω.

Then apply I = V/R? With R = 3 and V = Bwv? Or am i interpreting this wrong?

Oh, got it! Would someone mind helping me with (b), then?

(b) Calculate the magnitude of the force required to pull the rod to the right with constant speed.

Doesn't this just deal with the velocity, (1.8 m/s) and the coefficient of kinetic friction (0.20)?
Edit: Rather, is it Fs = FB + Ff?
Edit2: But how would you find the force related to these?

Last edited:

Well, I would suggest that you of course have the frictional component, but then you also have the energy that goes into the resistor which is I2R.

Consider what is happening: the rod is moving, which changes the magnetic flux across the circuit, which induces a voltage. This voltage causes a current. The magnetic field then imposes a force on this current that opposes the motion of the rod. Calculate this force, calculate the force of friction, add the two together and you'll get the total force needed to pull the rod.

ideasrule said:
Consider what is happening: the rod is moving, which changes the magnetic flux across the circuit, which induces a voltage. This voltage causes a current. The magnetic field then imposes a force on this current that opposes the motion of the rod. Calculate this force, calculate the force of friction, add the two together and you'll get the total force needed to pull the rod.

Would the magnitude of the magnetic force be: F = qvBsin[tex]\theta[/tex]?

And I know one equation that would apply for the magnitude of the force of kinetic friction: fk = [tex]\mu[/tex]kn
But this equation doesn't seem to give me enough information to solve for the force of kinetic friction... Any help?

science.girl said:

And I know one equation that would apply for the magnitude of the force of kinetic friction: fk = [tex]\mu[/tex]kn
But this equation doesn't seem to give me enough information to solve for the force of kinetic friction... Any help?

Almost. Consider the form of the magnetic force equation that matches the geometry of the situation you have in the problem.

F = I*B*w*sinθ

where w is the length of the rod across the tracks. (Sinθ of course is 1 for this set up.)

So multiplying F*v = B*v*w*I = V*I

Force times velocity is power. Power is the Voltage found before times current which can also be expressed as I2R

Got it! Thank you for your help!

science.girl said:

FYI, something to look for in the future: these introductory magnetism problems generally involve either current-carrying wires, or a charge q moving at velocity v. Since this problem involves current in a wire, you'd want to use an equation that contains I rather than one with q and v.

Redbelly98 said:
FYI, something to look for in the future: these introductory magnetism problems generally involve either current-carrying wires, or a charge q moving at velocity v. Since this problem involves current in a wire, you'd want to use an equation that contains I rather than one with q and v.

Thanks for the advice, Redbelly98! I appreciate it. :smile:

Related to How Does Moving a Metal Rod in a Magnetic Field Induce Current?

1. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a path that allows electricity to flow from a power source, through various components, and back to the power source. It typically includes a power source (such as a battery), wires or conductors, and load or components (such as light bulbs or resistors).

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all the components are connected in a single loop, meaning the current flows through each component in succession. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through each branch simultaneously.

3. What is Ohm's Law and how is it used in circuits?

Ohm's Law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. It is commonly represented as V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. This law is used to calculate the voltage, current, or resistance in a circuit.

4. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is a component in a circuit that is used to limit the flow of current. It is often used to control the amount of voltage and current in a circuit, and to protect other components from overheating. Resistors are also used to divide voltage and create voltage drops in a circuit.

5. How do capacitors work in a circuit?

Capacitors store electrical energy in the form of an electric field. They consist of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and they are often used to filter or smooth out electrical signals in a circuit. When connected in a circuit, a capacitor can temporarily store and release electrical energy, which can be useful in many applications.