How does my book come to this conclusion?

• Thread starter jean28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding an example from a Digital Electronics course book. The example involves designing an inverter with certain specifications and the question is how to find the value of W/L. The answer says the value is 2, but the student is unsure how to arrive at this. Pictures of the exercise and relevant equations are provided, and the key to finding W/L is using Ohm's law and rearranging the given equation. The conversation ends with the student agreeing with the answer of 2.
jean28
I'm starting my Digital Electronics course and I'm having trouble understanding how this example from my book gets to it's conclusion.

It's about designing an inverter with certain specifications, but how do I find the value of W/L? How do I get the 2 that the answer says?

Here are the pictures of the exercise and another picture with formulas that may or may not be relevant.

Picture of inverter:
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/jean28x/image2_zps9e7f8724.png
Exercise, part 1
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/jean28x/image_zps136b69f7.png

Exercise, part 2 (answers):
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/jean28x/image_1_zps32b9a8ee.png

Relevant equations (?):
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/jean28x/image_2_zpse3d8245e.png

Thank you all very much. I'd just like to understand how the book got to the answers:

W/L = 2
R = 48 kohm
power = 125 microWatts

Physics news on Phys.org
When the FET is conducting they want VGS to be 0.1 and ID to be 50 * 10-6. Ohms law says RDS=VGS/ID.
Rearrange the equation they give to get W/L. I agree with their answer 2.

Last edited:

Related to How does my book come to this conclusion?

1. How does the data support the conclusion in the book?

The data used in the book comes from a variety of sources, including experiments, surveys, and existing research. The author carefully analyzes and interprets the data to draw a logical conclusion that is backed up by the evidence presented.

2. Can the conclusion in the book be considered reliable?

The reliability of the conclusion depends on the quality of the data and the methodology used to analyze it. If the data is collected and analyzed accurately and objectively, then the conclusion can be considered reliable. However, it is always important to critically evaluate the evidence and consider alternative explanations.

3. Are there any limitations to the conclusion in the book?

Like any scientific study, there may be limitations to the conclusion in the book. These limitations could include a small sample size, biased data, or other factors that may affect the accuracy of the conclusion. The author should address these limitations and discuss their potential impact on the conclusion.

4. How does the conclusion in the book contribute to the scientific community?

The conclusion in the book may contribute to the scientific community by providing new insights, challenging existing theories, or opening up new areas of research. It is important for the author to clearly explain the contribution of their work to the scientific community and its potential impact.

5. Can the conclusion in the book be replicated by other scientists?

In order for a conclusion to be considered valid, it should be replicable by other scientists. This means that other researchers should be able to conduct a similar study using the same methods and obtain similar results. The author should provide enough detail about their methodology for others to replicate their study and validate the conclusion.