How does my energy saving meter work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an Energy Saving meter and its functionality. The efergy standard meter has a clip with a magnet that is placed on the wire leaving the household meter to measure electricity usage. The speaker is curious about how it works and asks for help. Another person mentions a more useful device called "Kill-a-Watt" that can differentiate between real and reactive power. A link is provided for the efergy meter, which measures amperage through induction and calculates wattage based on assumed voltage and phase.
iloveroman
Hello!

I've just brought an Energy Saving meter, to see how much electricity my household uses and I'm kinda curious as to how it actually works.

It's an efergy standard meter.
It has a clip that you place on the wire leaving your household meter, which seems to have a magnet in it.

I get that it will be using the magnetic field around the electrical wire but I don't really understand how.

Any help would be appreiciated, as it's been troublesome to find infomation and I'm determined now!
If this isn't the right spot, inapproprate etc, please let me know!

Cheers

Lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a simple clamp-on-ammeter that clamps on to the hot wire only? If so, it cannot differentiate between real and reactive power. Even so, it could be useful in recording instantaneous amps. Does it integrate, meaning amp-hours? Even more useful. Most useful is a wall-plug device named "Kill-a-Watt" (TR) that differentiates between real and reactive power.
Bob S

Is this it? http://www.efergy.com/e2.html

It measures amperage via induction, then assumes a voltage and phase to calculate wattage.

Related to How does my energy saving meter work?

1. How does an energy saving meter measure my energy usage?

Energy saving meters use a technology called "smart metering" to measure your energy consumption. This technology uses sensors to track the flow of electricity in your home or building, and then calculates your energy usage based on that data.

2. What types of information does an energy saving meter display?

Energy saving meters typically display your real-time energy usage in kilowatt-hours (kWh). Some meters may also display your energy usage over a set period of time, such as daily, weekly, or monthly.

3. How accurate are energy saving meters?

Energy saving meters are highly accurate, with an error rate of less than 1%. They are regularly tested and calibrated to ensure accuracy, so you can trust the data they provide.

4. Can I access my energy saving meter data remotely?

Many energy saving meters are equipped with wireless or internet capabilities, allowing you to access your energy usage data remotely through a mobile app or online portal. This can help you track your energy usage and make adjustments to save even more energy.

5. Will an energy saving meter automatically reduce my energy usage?

An energy saving meter itself does not have the capability to automatically reduce your energy usage. However, by providing you with real-time data on your energy consumption, it can help you make more informed decisions about your energy usage habits and potentially reduce your energy consumption over time.