How Does Non-Pure Rolling Differ from Pure Rolling in Rotational Dynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rolling motion and its relationship with friction. The point v_roller+rω=v_plank is difficult to understand, but it is determined that the external torque provided by the static friction at the top and bottom of the roller is what causes the rotation. The difference between pure and non-pure rolling is also mentioned, with pure rolling being an idealization and non-pure rolling involving slipping. It is also mentioned that an object may achieve pure rolling even with an initial angular velocity and velocity, as long as they fulfill the equation v=rω.
DavidLee
Question:
Refer to https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rolling-motion-of-plank-and-cylinders.93329/

I am able to understand all the points until the point v_roller+rω=v_plank.
I have a tough time understanding this part.

My attempt at the question:
I think that the static friction at the top and bottom of the roller will provide the external torque. This external torque will provide the rotating motion.

V_roller is the velocity due to the friction between the ground and the roller?
rω is due to the friction between the roller and the plank?

And one more question
I know what is pure rolling but i am wondering how does non pure rolling looks like, is it rolling or not ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DavidLee said:
And one more question
I know what is pure rolling but i am wondering how does non pure rolling looks like, is it rolling or not ?
"non-pure" rolling usually indicates rolling with slipping.

SteamKing said:
"non-pure" rolling usually indicates rolling with slipping.
Is it true that when an object is rolling, it may or may not be pure rolling?

DavidLee said:
Is it true that when an object is rolling, it may or may not be pure rolling?
Pure rolling is an idealization of what happens to real, physical objects.

It's like analyzing objects in free-fall, but neglecting air resistance, for example.

SteamKing said:
Pure rolling is an idealization of what happens to real, physical objects.

It's like analyzing objects in free-fall, but neglecting air resistance, for example.

From what I know, it is possible for an object that is not rolling without slipping to achieve rolling without slipping even though it have an initial angular velocity and velocity as long as they fulfill the equation v=rω

FAQ: How Does Non-Pure Rolling Differ from Pure Rolling in Rotational Dynamics?

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate or spin, rather than move in a straight line. It involves analyzing the forces and torques acting on an object to determine its rotational motion.

2. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Rotational dynamics also takes into account the effects of torque, moment of inertia, and angular velocity, which are not considered in linear dynamics.

3. What are some real-life examples of rotational dynamics?

Some common examples of rotational dynamics include the motion of a spinning top, the spin of a basketball or football, the rotation of a car tire, or the motion of a Ferris wheel.

4. How do you calculate torque in rotational dynamics?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is τ = r x F, where τ is torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and F is the force.

5. What is the role of moment of inertia in rotational dynamics?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. In rotational dynamics, moment of inertia is used to calculate an object's rotational acceleration and how much torque is needed to produce a certain angular acceleration.

Back