How does one form an equation for adder/subtractor?

• Thread starter AilingLore21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary: Binary_operationsIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Kmaps, Quine method, and forming logic diagrams for addition and subtraction equations. The individual is struggling with converting these equations into proper logic circuits and is asking for help and clarification on how to create truth tables and K-maps for multiple bits. They also mention some sources they have been studying, but express confusion on how to translate their findings into a logical gate combination.
AilingLore21
I understand the concept of Kmaps, Quine method and forming a logic diagram but I'm lost at forming an equation from an addition and subtraction equation

For example: a 2 bit plus a 3 bit binary integer. I would have a 4 bit sum and 3 carries. However, how does one form the appropriate equation in order to convert it to a proper logic circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
AilingLore21 said:
I understand the concept of Kmaps, Quine method and forming a logic diagram but I'm lost at forming an equation from an addition and subtraction equation

For example: a 2 bit plus a 3 bit binary integer. I would have a 4 bit sum and 3 carries. However, how does one form the appropriate equation in order to convert it to a proper logic circuit?
Write a truth table for each output based on the inputs. Then do a K-map for each of the outputs and design the logic from the minterms... Can you show us what you have been reading about how to do this? :smile:

berkeman said:
Write a truth table for each output based on the inputs. Then do a K-map for each of the outputs and design the logic from the minterms... Can you show us what you have been reading about how to do this? :smile:

So these sites currently

:http://orimath.blogspot.com/2008/01/half-adder-full-adder-and-multiple-bit.html
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/combination/comb_7.html
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/digital/chpt-9/full-adder/

Nobody explains how the truth table for multiple bits work. I assume they're half adders and full adders clumped together but how to form an equation from it? Like where did the AND gate come from? And why put the AND gate for the carries separately instead of putting it in one 3 input AND gate for the 3 bit addition?

Last edited:
AilingLore21 said:
Doesn't explain how subtraction works. What I don't get is why does three inputs of 1 yields an output of 1 carry and 1 sum?
The answer to both questions: Write up the addition and subtraction tables completely with carry and borrow. Then deduce the logical gate combination.
AilingLore21 said:
Nobody explains how the truth table for multiple bits work.
Oh, yes they do. Start with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_table

Related to How does one form an equation for adder/subtractor?

1. What is an adder/subtractor equation?

An adder/subtractor equation is a mathematical representation of a circuit that can both add and subtract binary numbers. It consists of logic gates and inputs that perform the operations of addition and subtraction.

2. How do you form an adder/subtractor equation?

To form an adder/subtractor equation, you must first determine the number of inputs and outputs needed for the circuit. Then, you can use Boolean algebra and logic gates to create a circuit that performs the desired addition and subtraction operations. Finally, you can write out the equation using the inputs and outputs of the circuit.

3. What is the difference between an adder and a subtractor equation?

An adder equation only performs addition operations, while a subtractor equation can perform both addition and subtraction. Additionally, a subtractor equation may require an additional input to indicate whether the operation is addition or subtraction.

4. What is the purpose of using an adder/subtractor equation?

An adder/subtractor equation is commonly used in digital circuits, such as in computers, to perform arithmetic operations on binary numbers. It allows for efficient and accurate calculations, making it an essential component in many electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations or special considerations when forming an adder/subtractor equation?

Yes, when forming an adder/subtractor equation, it is important to consider the number of bits being used and the potential for overflow. Additionally, care must be taken to ensure that the inputs and outputs are properly connected to the logic gates to avoid errors in the equation.