How Does p_x + i p_y Symmetry Arise in P-Wave Superconductors?

In summary, p-wave superconductivity is a triplet pairing symmetry that has been discovered in superfluid He3. It differs from the singlet state found in conventional superconductors and the d-wave state in cuprate superconductors. The mechanism for pairing is still under debate, but phonons are thought to play a role in the ruthenates family. A review article by Mackenzie and Maeno (2000) may provide further insight into this topic.
san_quanta
Does anybody know how p_x + i p_y symmetry arises in a p-wave superconductor ? How does the complex form arise ? Thanks a lot ...

Physics news on Phys.org
san_quanta said:
Does anybody know how p_x + i p_y symmetry arises in a p-wave superconductor ? How does the complex form arise ? Thanks a lot ...

I'm not sure to what extent you want an answer to your question, because this is a topic that is covered in whole books!

p-wave superconductivity is the triplet pairing symmetry, first discovered in superfluid He3. This is as opposed to the singlet state of the ordinary conventional superconductors, and the d-wave cuprate superconductors. I'm not sure if it is any more complex in nature when compared to the d-wave superconductors. The mechanism for pairing is still debatable, but I think for the ruthenates family of superconductivity, phonons are thought to be responsible for such pairing.

I would suggest a review article might help, such as the one done by A. P. Mackenzie and Y. Maenob, Physica B: Cond. Mat. v.280, p.148 (2000).

Zz.

Related to How Does p_x + i p_y Symmetry Arise in P-Wave Superconductors?

What is P-wave superconductivity?

P-wave superconductivity is a type of superconductivity where the electrons in the material are paired in a spin-singlet state with an odd parity. This type of superconductivity is characterized by the presence of a gap in the electronic energy spectrum, which allows for the flow of electrical current with zero resistance.

How is P-wave superconductivity different from other types of superconductivity?

P-wave superconductivity is different from other types of superconductivity, such as s-wave and d-wave, because it involves the pairing of electrons with an odd parity, rather than an even parity. This results in a different energy gap structure and unique physical properties.

What materials exhibit P-wave superconductivity?

Currently, the only known materials that exhibit P-wave superconductivity are the heavy fermion compounds, such as strontium ruthenate (Sr2RuO4) and UPt3. These materials have a crystal structure that supports the formation of P-wave superconducting states.

What are the potential applications of P-wave superconductivity?

P-wave superconductivity has potential applications in quantum computing, where the spin-singlet state of the electrons can be used to encode and manipulate quantum information. It may also have applications in high-precision sensors and detectors.

What are the current challenges in studying P-wave superconductivity?

One of the main challenges in studying P-wave superconductivity is the difficulty in creating and controlling the necessary conditions for this type of superconductivity to occur. This includes precise control over the material's crystal structure and electron pairing mechanisms. Additionally, the detection of P-wave superconductivity is also challenging due to the small energy gap and the need for specialized experimental techniques.