How Does Projectile Motion Determine Firefighting Hose Angles?

In summary, the speed of water can be calculated by measuring the distance it travels in a certain amount of time, using the formula speed = distance / time. It is typically expressed in units such as meters per second or feet per second. The speed of water can vary due to factors like slope, depth, and obstacles, and it is important to know for predicting floods, designing irrigation systems, and understanding environmental impact. Technology such as radar, sonar, and software programs can be used to find the speed of water.
EaGlE
Firemen are shooting a stream of water at a burning building using a high-pressure hose that shoots out the water with a speed of 25.0 m/s as it leaves the end of the hose. Once it leaves the hose, the water moves in projectile motion. The firemen adjust the angle of elevation [tex]\alpha[/tex]of the hose until the water takes 3.00 s to reach a building 45.0 m away. You can ignore air resistance; assume that the end of the hose is at ground level

A.) Find the angle of elevation [tex]\alpha[/tex]
B.) Find the speed of the water at the highest point in its trajectory.
C.) Find the acceleration of the water at the highest point in its trajectory(magnitude of the acceleration).

please help me start this, i have problems starting questions.

what is "projectile motion"
25.0 m/s is the initial velocity right? or is it the final velocity?

for problem A.) how would i find the angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is "projectile motion"

Your text should give you a good explanation of this basic concept. You can also try this page I googled just now.

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Vectors/ProjectilesMotion.html

25.0 m/s is the initial velocity right? or is it the final velocity?

the problem stated: "...shoots out the water with a speed of 25.0 m/s as it leaves the end of the hose."

"as it leaves the end of the hose" would imply that it is the initial velocity. But just as an aside, it would also be the final velocity (don't worry about that right now though, you'll learn that when you get to energy conservation.)

for problem A.) how would i find the angle?

Since the water is undergoing projectile motion, you can simplify the problem by considering the horizontal and vertical components of its velocity. I don't want to give the solution away, but think of the data you are given in the problem: a distance, a velocity, and a time. Consider the horizontal component of the velocity using a little trig, and what you now know about projectile motion. This is all i'll tell you for now; draw out a diagram and think about it; if you still have difficulty, post again.

Last edited by a moderator:

To start, we need to understand what is meant by "projectile motion." Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. In this case, the water being shot from the hose is the projectile and it will follow a parabolic path under the influence of gravity.

Next, we need to identify what information we have been given and what we need to find. We are given the initial velocity of the water as it leaves the hose (25.0 m/s) and the distance it travels (45.0 m) in a certain amount of time (3.00 s). We are asked to find the angle of elevation, the speed at the highest point, and the acceleration at the highest point.

To find the angle of elevation, we can use the equation for projectile motion: d = v0t + (1/2)at^2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration (in this case, due to gravity). We know the distance (45.0 m) and the time (3.00 s), and we can solve for the initial velocity (v0) using the given speed of 25.0 m/s. This will give us the initial vertical component of the velocity. We can then use trigonometry to find the angle of elevation.

To find the speed at the highest point, we can use the equation v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. At the highest point, the vertical component of the velocity will be zero, so we can solve for the final velocity (v) using the initial velocity (v0) and the acceleration (a) due to gravity.

To find the acceleration at the highest point, we can use the equation a = -g, where a is the acceleration and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This will give us the magnitude of the acceleration at the highest point.

I hope this helps you get started with the problem. Remember to always identify what information you have been given, what you are asked to find, and what equations or concepts can help you solve the problem.

FAQ: How Does Projectile Motion Determine Firefighting Hose Angles?

1. How do you calculate the speed of water?

The speed of water can be calculated by measuring the distance the water travels in a certain amount of time. The formula for speed is speed = distance / time. You can also use a flow meter to directly measure the speed of the water.

2. What units are used to express the speed of water?

The speed of water is typically expressed in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). Other common units include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph).

3. Can the speed of water vary?

Yes, the speed of water can vary depending on various factors such as the slope of the surface it is flowing on, the depth of the water, and obstacles in its path. It can also change over time due to changes in the flow rate or other external influences.

4. Why is it important to find the speed of water?

Knowing the speed of water is important for many reasons. It can help with predicting and preventing floods, designing efficient irrigation systems, and understanding the impact of water on the environment. It is also crucial for activities such as boating, swimming, and water sports.

5. How can technology be used to find the speed of water?

There are various technologies that can be used to find the speed of water, such as radar, sonar, and Doppler sensors. These devices use sound waves or electromagnetic waves to measure the velocity of water. Additionally, there are also software programs and apps that use data from these devices to calculate the speed of water.

Back