How Does Reducing Earth's Gravity Affect the Time a Thrown Ball Takes to Return?

In summary, the conversation discusses how a change in gravity on Earth would affect the time it takes for a ball to go up and back to the thrower's hands. The correct reasoning to solve this is to use the equation v2 - v1 = at, which results in a time increase by a factor of 6 due to the decrease in acceleration.
Gear2d

Homework Statement

If I throw a ball straight up to a height h with velocity v and it takes the ball time t to go up and back to my hands, by how much would time increase or decrease if gravity on Earth where changed from g to g/6?

Homework Equations

v = a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted make sure what I am thinking was correct. I thought about this problem as a projectile problem and said that t = (v*sin(theta))/a, where "a" is acceleration. Now since the ball was thrown straight up, I made sin(theta) to sin(90). So the problem comes out to be t=v/a, and since "a" decreases by a factor of 6 that means time increase by a factor of 6. Would this reasoning be the correct way to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gear2d said:
v = a*t

Hi Gear2d! :smile:

Your reasoning and your result are right … but your initial equation is wrong.

The general equation is v2 - v1 = at …

so what do you think it is in this particular case? :smile:

I would say that your reasoning is generally correct. However, there are a few things to consider in this scenario. First, the equation v = a*t that you have used assumes that the initial velocity of the ball is zero. In reality, when you throw a ball straight up, it will have an initial velocity in the upward direction. This means that the equation you should use is v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration due to gravity. So, the time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height and return to your hand would be t = (v-u)/a.

Secondly, when you change the value of g to g/6, you are also changing the value of a. In this case, a decreases by a factor of 6, which means that the ball will take longer to reach its maximum height and return to your hand. Therefore, the time will increase by a factor of 6, as you correctly stated.

Overall, your reasoning is sound and you have correctly identified the relationship between time, velocity, and gravity in this scenario. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Does Reducing Earth's Gravity Affect the Time a Thrown Ball Takes to Return?

1. What is the relationship between time and velocity?

The relationship between time and velocity is that time is a measure of the duration of an event or process, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position in a particular direction over time. Essentially, velocity is the change in position divided by the change in time.

2. How does gravity affect the passage of time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity affects the passage of time by warping the fabric of space-time. This means that time moves slower in areas with stronger gravitational forces, such as near massive objects like planets. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

3. Can gravity affect the velocity of an object?

Yes, gravity can affect the velocity of an object. When an object is in a gravitational field, it experiences a force that accelerates it towards the source of gravity. This means that the object will increase in velocity as it falls towards the ground, until it reaches a maximum velocity known as terminal velocity.

4. How does time relate to the concept of relativity?

Time is a fundamental component of the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the passage of time can be perceived differently by different observers, depending on their relative velocity and location in space.

5. Is time affected by an object's velocity?

Yes, time is affected by an object's velocity. As an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs and time appears to slow down for the object in motion. This is due to the fact that as an object's velocity increases, the energy required to accelerate it further also increases, making it more difficult to achieve higher velocities.