How Does Refractive Index Affect Position Shift in Optics Problems?

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about a circular disc of diameter d lying horizontally inside a metallic hemispherical bowl of radius 'a'. The depth of the disc is found in terms of the given quantities, and the shift in its position is related to the refractive index of the liquid. The solution involves using trigonometry to find the value of the refractive index.
zorro

Homework Statement

See this link for the question
http://books.google.com/books?id=bPjHS2e6qDUC&lpg=PT163&dq=A%20circular%20disc%20of%20diameter%20d%20lies%20horizontally%20inside%20a%20metallic%20hemispherical%20bowl%20of%20radius%20'a'&pg=PT163#v=onepage&q=A%20circular%20disc%20of%20diameter%20&f=false

(Q.12)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the depth of the disc in terms of the quantities given. The disc gets raised due to the refraction at the surface of liquid. How do I relate the shift in the position of the disc with the refractive index?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let AB be the disc of diameter d = 2l, where l is the radius of the disc.
Let OP be the diameter (2R) of the hemisphere. OAP is the right angled triangle.
BOE is the line of sight over the edge without liquid.
When the hemisphere is filled with a liquid of refractive index μ, disc is visible over the edge,when the ray AO moves along OE after refraction.
Draw a normal at O. Let x be the distance of A from the normal and AO = y..
Identify i and r. From the figure you can see that R = l + x. Or x = R - l
sin(r) = x/y.= y/2R
sin(i) = BO/2R.
Hence μ = sin(i)/sin(r) = BO/y ...(1)
sin(i) = (2l + x)/BO. So BO = (2l + x)/sin(i)
y = x/sin(r)
Substitute these values in eq.(1), You will get
μ = (2l + x)/μx.
μ^2 = (2l+x)/x = (2l + R - l)/(R - l) = (R + l)/(R - l)
By taking componendo and devidendo, you will get the final result.

Thank you very much for the solution Sir but JEE is already over :frown:

FAQ: How Does Refractive Index Affect Position Shift in Optics Problems?

1. Who can solve this optics question?

There are many people who can potentially solve an optics question, including physicists, engineers, and other scientists who specialize in optics. It ultimately depends on the complexity and specific topic of the question.

2. Can anyone solve this optics question?

It is possible that anyone with a strong understanding of optics and problem-solving skills could solve the question, but it may require specific knowledge or expertise in the area.

3. How do I find someone to solve this optics question?

You can try reaching out to experts in the field of optics or posting the question on forums or platforms where individuals with relevant knowledge can offer assistance.

4. What qualifications or skills do I need to solve this optics question?

To solve an optics question, you should have a strong understanding of the principles and concepts of optics, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Specific qualifications or experience may also be necessary depending on the complexity of the question.

5. Can I solve this optics question on my own?

It is possible to solve an optics question on your own if you have a solid understanding of the subject matter and the necessary skills. However, it is always beneficial to seek assistance or collaborate with others to approach the problem from different perspectives.

Back