How Does Relativistic Kinetic Energy Derive from Force Integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the relativistic kinetic energy and the combination of two integrals. The lecturer presents an expression that can be used to combine the integrals and suggests using differentiation to derive the proper limits. The final result is given as K = \int c^2\,dm.
kudoushinichi88
In the derivation of the relativistic kinetic energy,

[tex]K=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}F\,dx = \int_{0}^{v}\frac{d}{dt}(mv)\,dx = \int_{0}^{v}(mv\,dv+v^2\,dm)[/tex]

here, my lecturer told us without showing that

[tex]mv\,dv+v^2\,dm = c^2\,dm[/tex]

Can someone please give me hints on how to combine these two integrals? I have no idea how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
kudoushinichi88 said:
In the derivation of the relativistic kinetic energy,

[tex]K=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}F\,dx = \int_{0}^{v}\frac{d}{dt}(mv)\,dx = \int_{0}^{v}(mv\,dv+v^2\,dm)[/tex]
You need to be a bit more careful with the limits. The integral with respect to dm doesn't have as limits 0 and v.
here, my lecturer told us without showing that

[tex]mv\,dv+v^2\,dm = c^2\,dm[/tex]

Can someone please give me hints on how to combine these two integrals? I have no idea how to start.
You can show by differentiating the expression for the relativistic mass

[tex]m = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}}[/tex]

with respect to v. The LHS of the result the lecturer gave you is the integrand, so just substitute it into get

[tex]K = \int c^2\,dm[/tex]

I'll leave it to you to figure out the proper limits.

FAQ: How Does Relativistic Kinetic Energy Derive from Force Integration?

What is Relativistic Kinetic Energy?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion at relativistic speeds, which is speeds close to the speed of light.

How is Relativistic Kinetic Energy calculated?

The formula for calculating Relativistic Kinetic Energy is E = (mc^2)/(sqrt(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where m is the mass of the object, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object.

What is the difference between Relativistic Kinetic Energy and Classical Kinetic Energy?

The main difference between Relativistic Kinetic Energy and Classical Kinetic Energy is that Relativistic Kinetic Energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which become significant at high speeds.

What are some real-world applications of Relativistic Kinetic Energy?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy is used in various fields, including particle physics, nuclear energy, and astrophysics. It is also important in the development of high-speed transportation technology, such as spacecraft and high-speed trains.

Why is Relativistic Kinetic Energy important to understand?

Relativistic Kinetic Energy is important to understand because it helps us understand the behavior of objects at high speeds, which is crucial in many scientific fields. It also plays a significant role in the understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe, such as the principle of conservation of energy.

Back