How Does Resonance Affect Current in a Parallel LCR Circuit?

• Thread starter physiks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary: The problem says that the circuit is excited at the resonant frequency ω0=1/√LC by a voltage cosω0t. I need to calculate IL(t). This reduces my expression to IL=cosω0t/iω0L. If I use complex impedances, use also complex currents and voltages, in the form I=I0 eiωt and U=U0eiωt, where I0 and U0 are complex amplitudes, including phases. The impedance is the ratio of the complex voltage and complex current. If you use the sine or cosine form, the ratio U/I depends on time.
physiks
I have reached a stage in a problem where I have a complex current through an inductor in a parallel LCR circuit with a current source (the circuit is a parallel LC circuit with a resistance R in series as well as a driving voltage V0sinωt, converted into the above via a Norton equivalent).

I have obtained IL=V0sinωt/R[1+i(ωL/R)-(ω2LC)] by first finding the common voltage across each component.

The problem then says that the circuit is excited at the resonant frequency ω0=1/√LC by a voltage cosω0t. I need to calculate IL(t). This reduces my expression to IL=cosω0t/iω0L.

Now I need to get this to be real. I just wrote cosω0t=e0t and i=eiπ/2 giving IL=cos(ω0t-π/2)/ω0L after taking the real part.

Now I'm not sure if this is correct. Besides that, if it is, I don't quite understand why I would be allowed to do that. Why would I just take the real part at the end. It just doesn't seem mathematiclly rigorous and so if somebody could explain the maths behind the approach I would feel more comfortable. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use complex impedances, use also complex currents and voltages, in the form I=I0 eiωt and U=U0eiωt, where I0
and U0 are complex amplitudes, including phases. The impedance is the ratio of the complex voltage and complex current. If you use the sine or cosine form, the ratio U/I depends on time.
If the real driving voltage is Vosin(ωt), which is the imaginary part of V0eiωt, write it in the form V0eiωt solve the problem, and then take the imaginary part of the solution.

ehild

ehild said:
If you use complex impedances, use also complex currents and voltages, in the form I=I0 eiωt and U=U0eiωt, where I0
and U0 are complex amplitudes, including phases. The impedance is the ratio of the complex voltage and complex current. If you use the sine or cosine form, the ratio U/I depends on time.
If the real driving voltage is Vosin(ωt), which is the imaginary part of V0eiωt, write it in the form V0eiωt solve the problem, and then take the imaginary part of the solution.

ehild

Thanks! Just to confirm, the above method is correct then right?

Last edited:
If two complex numbers are equal both the real parts and the imaginary parts are also equal.

ehild

ehild said:
If two complex numbers are equal both the real parts and the imaginary parts are also equal.

ehild

I can't see how that helps?

I did not understand your question
the above method is correct then right?
I thought you ask if the method, solving a complex equation, and then taking the real of imaginary part of the solution works.
So what did you mean?

ehild

ehild said:
I did not understand your question
I thought you ask if the method, solving a complex equation, and then taking the real of imaginary part of the solution works.
So what did you mean?

ehild

Oh I see! I was talking about the specific example problem in my original post, i.e is that correct (I believe it agrees with your method).

No, that solution is not good as you wrote it. Do not use sin(ωt). It should be V=Vo eiωt
What was the circuit at all? Was the resistor in series with the inductor or in series with the parallel LC circuit? If so, your formula for IL is almost correct, but use V instead of Vosin(ωt) and you miss a pair of parentheses. V=Voeiωt, and

[tex]I_L=\frac{V}{R(\frac{iωL}{R}+1-ω^2LC)}[/tex].
It is correct, that 1-ω^2LC = 0 at resonance. Find the phase, and add to iωt. You get IL as Ioei(ωt+θ).

You final result is correct. But do not write cos or sin. Keep V=Voeiωt up to the final step, then take the real part.
ehild

Last edited:

Related to How Does Resonance Affect Current in a Parallel LCR Circuit?

What is a complex impedance?

A complex impedance is a measure of the opposition a circuit presents to alternating current (AC) at a specific frequency. It is a combination of both resistance and reactance, and is represented by a complex number in the form of Z = R + jX, where R is the resistance and jX is the reactance.

Why is complex impedance important in circuit analysis?

Complex impedance is important in circuit analysis because it allows us to understand how a circuit responds to AC signals, which are commonly used in electronic devices. It also helps in determining the frequency response of a circuit and in designing filters and other components that manipulate AC signals.

How do you calculate complex impedance?

The complex impedance can be calculated using Ohm's law, where Z = V/I, where V is the voltage applied to the circuit and I is the current flowing through it. However, for circuits with both resistance and reactance, the calculation involves using vector addition of the two components, using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector and the inverse tangent function to find the phase angle.

What are some common applications of complex impedances?

Complex impedances are commonly used in AC circuits, such as in audio systems, power transmission, and electronic filters. They are also used in the design of antennas, communication systems, and medical devices. In addition, they are used in analyzing the behavior of electrical networks and in the study of electromagnetic fields.

What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Impedance and resistance are both measures of opposition to current flow, but they are not the same. Resistance only considers the real component of the circuit's opposition to current, while impedance takes into account both the real and imaginary components. This means that impedance is a more comprehensive measure of a circuit's opposition to AC signals, while resistance is specific to DC circuits.