How Does Rosetta Maintain Its Position Relative to the Comet?

In summary, Rosetta is orbiting the comet despite its negligible gravity, which requires continuous acceleration to maintain its orbit. It is not simply moving alongside the comet in a straight line. The probe has landed on the comet, but Rosetta (the mother ship) is still in orbit. The comet's low gravity allows for easy travel in an unbound path, and there is always a velocity that can be used to match to any sized object for orbit.
docroc
News stories make it sound like Rosetta is orbiting the comet. But presumably the comet's gravity is negligible, which means that orbiting it would require continuous acceleration (and therefore continuous use of energy) in order for Rosetta's motion to conform to a circle/ellipse, rather than simply moving in a straight line as it would naturally do without any input of energy.

Is Rosetta in fact simply moving alongside the comet in a straight line? Or am I missing something?

(Afterthought 5 mins later) Is Rosetta matching the comet's orbit around the sun?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if you heard yet, but it already landed.

docroc said:
News stories make it sound like Rosetta is orbiting the comet. But presumably the comet's gravity is negligible, which means that orbiting it would require continuous acceleration (and therefore continuous use of energy) in order for Rosetta's motion to conform to a circle/ellipse, rather than simply moving in a straight line as it would naturally do without any input of energy.

Is Rosetta in fact simply moving alongside the comet in a straight line? Or am I missing something?

(Afterthought 5 mins later) Is Rosetta matching the comet's orbit around the sun?
Rosetta is in orbit around the comet. It has changed its orbit from time to time by firing thrusters. But a lot of the time it just loops around and around.

I estimate orbit speeds to be on the order of 10 cm per second, but when closer in can be. say 20 cm per second, depending on the orbit radius, which the controllers have varied in order to study the surface and release the lander and communicate with the lander etc etc.

Just as a sample calculation how far can you travel in one Earth day (86,400 seconds) at 20 cm/s?
17 kilometers
So mightn't Rosetta sometimes complete an orbit in 2 Earth days?.

Maybe now she has retired to a farther out orbit because the work of the moment has been done, the lander is inactive so doesn't have to be communicated with, and so on. I don't know anything about the current status.

Last edited:
The comet's gravity is low enough so that Rosetta can easily travel in an unbound path without needing much delta-V.

A surface satellite on the comet would travel at something like 0.7 m/s, though the comet's highly irregular shape makes it difficult for there to be such a satellite.

Mr.CROWLER said:
I'm not sure if you heard yet, but it already landed.
The probe landed, but Rosetta (the mother ship) is up there watching.

lpetrich said:
The comet's gravity is low enough so that Rosetta can easily travel in an unbound path without needing much delta-V.

A surface satellite on the comet would travel at something like 0.7 m/s, though the comet's highly irregular shape makes it difficult for there to be such a satellite.
I'm still confused - maybe my question wasn't clear about what I don't get.

With a satellite orbiting earth, I understand that the Earth's gravitation keeps the satellite in orbit rather than flying off in a tangent to the orbit (?) and this requires a velocity of around 25k miles/hr for the satellite. So, with almost no gravitational field how does the comet do this for Rosetta? Is it just a question of matching the velocity of Rosetta so that it is appropriate to balance the low gravitation of the comet, ie is there always a velocity that can be used to "match" to any sized object around which you want to orbit?

docroc said:
Is it just a question of matching the velocity of Rosetta so that it is appropriate to balance the low gravitation of the comet, ie is there always a velocity that can be used to "match" to any sized object around which you want to orbit?

Yes. The radius of a circular orbit, the orbital speed, and the gravitational force are related by ##F=mv^2/r## so no matter how small ##F## is, there is always some ##v## that will allow an orbit at any given radius. Elliptical orbits are a bit more complicated, but it's the same general idea.

Yes. 67P masses 10^13 kg with gravity about 10^-3 m s^-2 or 10^-4 g Earth's gravity.

Nugatory said:
Yes. The radius of a circular orbit, the orbital speed, and the gravitational force are related by ##F=mv^2/r## so no matter how small ##F## is, there is always some ##v## that will allow an orbit at any given radius. Elliptical orbits are a bit more complicated, but it's the same general idea.

Thanks for your clear answer,
Dave

Related to How Does Rosetta Maintain Its Position Relative to the Comet?

1. How does Rosetta stay in orbit around its target comet?

Rosetta stays in orbit around its target comet, 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, by using its thrusters to maintain a specific speed and trajectory. It also has to constantly make small adjustments to its orbit to account for the comet's changing gravitational pull.

2. What is the orbit of Rosetta around the comet?

Rosetta is in a highly elliptical orbit around the comet, with a closest approach point of about 10 kilometers and a furthest point of about 200 kilometers.

3. How does Rosetta avoid colliding with the comet while in orbit?

Rosetta has a complex navigation system that uses images and data from its instruments to constantly monitor the comet's position and make adjustments to its orbit. It also has a back-up system that can trigger thruster firings if needed to avoid a collision.

4. How does Rosetta's orbit change over time?

As the comet moves closer to the sun, its gravity will become stronger, causing Rosetta's orbit to become more elongated. This means that Rosetta will have to use more fuel to maintain its orbit and avoid getting too close to the comet's surface.

5. How does Rosetta's orbit affect its scientific observations?

Rosetta's orbit is carefully planned to allow for optimal scientific observations of the comet. By varying its distance and angle from the comet, Rosetta can gather data from different perspectives and study different areas of the comet's surface. This also allows for multiple passes over the same area, providing a more detailed and comprehensive understanding of the comet.

Back