How Does Sand Falling Impact Balance in Physics?

In summary, the problem involves determining the value of a constant in the expression for retarding force due to turbulence, and estimating the fractional change in the radius of a bubble as it rises in a fish tank. The first part involves balancing the forces acting on the bubble, while the second part involves considering the change in pressure as the bubble rises. It is important to consider the dimensions of the objects involved, such as the diameter of the bubble, and to use appropriate equations and values for density and acceleration due to gravity.
johnconnor
I am a CIE A Level student and the following question is of 1st year undergraduate level.

A bag containing a mass M of sand is suspended from a hook on the arm of a balance at a height h above the balance pan. At a time t=0, the sand starts to pour from a hole at the bottom of the bagm falling onto the pan beneath, and continues at a constant rate r (mass/unit time) until the bag is empty.

i. Find the mass required on the other pan to maintain balance under steady conditions when a continuous stream of sand is falling from the bag (a simple balance with equal arms is envisaged).

ii. Show graphically the variation with time of the mass required to maintain balance throughout the experiment, indicating by suitable labelling the quantities involved. Assume ideal conditions, under which air resistance, balance inertian and damping effects may be ignored.

My working:

When we consider the pouring of sand from a height h above the pan, there exists 3 phases: the falling sand yet to reach the pan; the steady stream of sand whose momentum is destroyed upon reaching the pan and the final stage when the steady stream of sand reduces to zero when all of the sand in the bag is depleted.

So for the "mass required on the other pan to maintain balance under steady conditions when a continuous stream of sand is falling from the bag", I tried starting from the conservation of energy gh = 0.5 v^2. Since the height is yet to be found, I couldn't use the impulsive force on destroying of momentum too.

I apologise for not having complex mathematical workings to present. please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnconnor said:
I am a CIE A Level student and the following question is of 1st year undergraduate level.

A bag containing a mass M of sand is suspended from a hook on the arm of a balance at a height h above the balance pan. At a time t=0, the sand starts to pour from a hole at the bottom of the bagm falling onto the pan beneath, and continues at a constant rate r (mass/unit time) until the bag is empty.

i. Find the mass required on the other pan to maintain balance under steady conditions when a continuous stream of sand is falling from the bag (a simple balance with equal arms is envisaged).

ii. Show graphically the variation with time of the mass required to maintain balance throughout the experiment, indicating by suitable labelling the quantities involved. Assume ideal conditions, under which air resistance, balance inertian and damping effects may be ignored.

My working:

When we consider the pouring of sand from a height h above the pan, there exists 3 phases: the falling sand yet to reach the pan; the steady stream of sand whose momentum is destroyed upon reaching the pan and the final stage when the steady stream of sand reduces to zero when all of the sand in the bag is depleted.

So for the "mass required on the other pan to maintain balance under steady conditions when a continuous stream of sand is falling from the bag", I tried starting from the conservation of energy gh = 0.5 v^2. Since the height is yet to be found, I couldn't use the impulsive force on destroying of momentum too.

I apologise for not having complex mathematical workings to present. please help. Thank you.

Welcome to PF johnconnor.

Here's a diagram to consider:
attachment.php?attachmentid=42805&stc=1&d=1326900464.jpg

Note that the mass of the sand is distributed in three places at any given time so long as the sand continues to stream from the sac to the pan. When the falling sand stops at the pan it will deliver up its momentum by way of exerting a force Fp on the pan. You should be able to determine what that force will be based upon the mass-delivery rate of the sand and the velocity it gains as it falls.

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 576
Thank you, gneill. Pardon me if my question sounds elementary, but may I know what questions did you ask yourself when you were attempting the question?

Could you please demonstrate my query with the question below?

An aerator nozzle is fitted 0.40m below the surface of the water in a fish tank. It is noted that air bubbles from the nozzle accelerate upwards for the first few millimetres of their motion but then rise to the surface with a constant terminal speed. For bubbles of diameter 3.0mm, this speed is found to be 0.31m/s. The passage of the bubbles through the water is turbulent.

i. Deduce the value of the constant K, in the expression for the retarding force due to turbulence in this system, expressed as KAv2ρ, where ρ is the liquid density, v is the uniform velocity under turbulent conditions and A is the cross-sectional area of the bubble at right angles to the direction of motion.
(The density of water is taken as 1.0x103 kg m-3 and the density of air in the bubbles is 1.3 kg m-3.)

ii. As the bubbles rise, the pressure due to the water above them decreases. Estimate the resulting fractional change in the raduis of a bubble as it rises from the nozzle to the surface.

Attempt:

i. Condition for resultant force = 0.
i.e., upthrust = weight + retardation force
ρVg = 1.8E-7 + KAv2ρ
Taking 1.8E-7 ≈ 0,
K = rg/v2
Substituting values, K = 0.15

In the answer, the constant K is given the expression 4rg/3v2 whereas its value is 0.2. May I ask why is there a 4/3 factor? What did I miss out? Since the bubbles are so small, why is the factor of 4/3 - which I suppose relates to the dimension of a sphere - play a role? What other questions am I supposed to ask myself?

ii. I have no idea how to do. pV = nRT didn't help much; perchance I applied the wrong methods involving the formula.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

johnconnor said:
Thank you, gneill. Pardon me if my question sounds elementary, but may I know what questions did you ask yourself when you were attempting the question?
I simply asked myself what forces are present (weights), what sources of energy exist (potential energy), what conditions have to hold to satisfy the problem (system remains balanced). Then I drew a Free Body Diagram for left hand pan.
Could you please demonstrate my query with the question below?
Looks like a whole new problem. In general you should start a new thread for a new problem.
An aerator nozzle is fitted 0.40m below the surface of the water in a fish tank. It is noted that air bubbles from the nozzle accelerate upwards for the first few millimetres of their motion but then rise to the surface with a constant terminal speed. For bubbles of diameter 3.0mm, this speed is found to be 0.31m/s. The passage of the bubbles through the water is turbulent.

i. Deduce the value of the constant K, in the expression for the retarding force due to turbulence in this system, expressed as KAv2ρ, where ρ is the liquid density, v is the uniform velocity under turbulent conditions and A is the cross-sectional area of the bubble at right angles to the direction of motion.
(The density of water is taken as 1.0x103 kg m-3 and the density of air in the bubbles is 1.3 kg m-3.)

ii. As the bubbles rise, the pressure due to the water above them decreases. Estimate the resulting fractional change in the raduis of a bubble as it rises from the nozzle to the surface.

Attempt:

i. Condition for resultant force = 0.
i.e., upthrust = weight + retardation force
ρVg = 1.8E-7 + KAv2ρ
Taking 1.8E-7 ≈ 0,
K = rg/v2
Substituting values, K = 0.15

In the answer, the constant K is given the expression 4rg/3v2 whereas its value is 0.2. May I ask why is there a 4/3 factor? What did I miss out? Since the bubbles are so small, why is the factor of 4/3 - which I suppose relates to the dimension of a sphere - play a role? What other questions am I supposed to ask myself?
What forces are acting on the bubble? There's buoyancy force, weight, and retardation. What expressions are associated with each? Can you write them out?

When the conditions stated in the problem are in effect (constant speed), how are the forces related to each other? (Free Body Diagram again).
ii. I have no idea how to do. pV = nRT didn't help much; perchance I applied the wrong methods involving the formula.

Assume constant temperature for the rising bubble. The pressure inside the bubble must equal the pressure in the surrounding water. So what determines the pressure in the water surrounding the bubble?

I can understand your struggle with this problem and I am happy to provide some guidance. Firstly, let's break down the problem into smaller parts and consider the physics involved.

1. The mass required on the other pan to maintain balance under steady conditions is dependent on the mass of the sand falling from the bag, as well as its velocity. This can be explained by the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. Therefore, the mass required on the other pan will be equal to the mass of sand falling from the bag multiplied by its velocity.

2. To determine the velocity of the sand, we can use the principle of conservation of energy. As you have correctly stated, the potential energy of the sand at height h is converted into kinetic energy as it falls to the pan. Therefore, we can use the equation gh = 0.5mv^2 to find the velocity of the sand.

3. The variation of the mass required to maintain balance throughout the experiment can be shown graphically by plotting the mass of sand falling from the bag (which decreases as the bag empties) against time. This will result in a linear decrease in mass over time, as the sand is falling at a constant rate.

4. It is important to note that in ideal conditions, we can ignore air resistance, balance inertia, and damping effects. This means that the sand will fall in a straight line and there will be no external forces acting on the system.

In conclusion, to solve this problem, you will need to use the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. You can also use the equation gh = 0.5mv^2 to find the velocity of the sand. I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

Related to How Does Sand Falling Impact Balance in Physics?

1. What types of physics problems can I get help with in Cambridge Physics Problems Help?

Cambridge Physics Problems Help offers assistance with a wide range of physics problems, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics.

2. Can I get help with specific questions from my physics textbook?

Yes, we can assist with specific questions from your physics textbook. Simply provide us with the problem number and any relevant information, and we will guide you through the solution step by step.

3. Are there any limitations on the level of difficulty of problems that can be solved through Cambridge Physics Problems Help?

No, we are equipped to help with physics problems at all levels, from introductory to advanced. Our team of experts has a broad range of knowledge and experience in various areas of physics.

4. How does the process of getting help with a physics problem work?

Simply submit your question or problem to us through our website or email, and we will get back to you with a solution as soon as possible. We also offer the option of live chat support for immediate assistance.

5. Is Cambridge Physics Problems Help available 24/7?

Yes, our services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach out to us at any time, and we will do our best to provide you with timely and efficient assistance with your physics problems.