How Does Seat Angle Affect Book Sliding in a Car?

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum acceleration that a car can have without a book sliding off the seat. Two scenarios are considered, one in which the book can only slide backwards and one in which it can only slide forwards. The equations are set up correctly, taking into account the direction of the friction force and the maximum acceleration is obtained. However, at certain angles and with a low coefficient of friction, the acceleration can become infinite.
aceaceace

Homework Statement

A flat book is situated on a seat in a car, which has an angel θ (if θ is zero the seat is horizontal and if it is 90 degrees it is vertical). The coefficient of static friction is μs.

(1) What is the largest forward acceleration the car can have, without the book sliding?

(2) What is the largest acceleration the car can have when breaking, without the book sliding?

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) I set up the following equation, assuming the book can only slide backwards.

μs*( cos(θ)*m*g - sin(θ)*m*a ) = sin(θ)*m*g + cos(θ)*m*a

Isolating a here gives the right result I think, but after I attemted to solve (2) I thought about, what if the book was sliding the other way, would the equiation be

0 = sin(θ)*m*g + cos(θ)*m*a + μs*( cos(θ)*m*g - sin(θ)*m*a )

Isolating a here gives an expression that doesn't really make sense to me.

(2) I set up the following equation, assuming the book can only slide forward.

μs*( cos(θ)*m*g + sin(θ)*m*a ) = cos(θ)*m*a - sin(θ)*m*g

Isolating a here gives a similar result that I can't figure out. At certain angles the acceleration becomes infinite.

Am I making a fundamental error somewhere, or am I just failing to see the logic in the results I am getting?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have set up the equations correctly for both scenarios. However, there are a few things to consider:

1. In the first scenario, the book can only slide backwards if the car is accelerating forwards, so the equation should be μs*(cos(θ)*m*g + sin(θ)*m*a) = sin(θ)*m*g - cos(θ)*m*a. This is because the friction force acts in the opposite direction of the car's acceleration.

2. In the second scenario, the book can only slide forwards if the car is decelerating, so the equation should be μs*(cos(θ)*m*g - sin(θ)*m*a) = cos(θ)*m*a - sin(θ)*m*g. This is because the friction force acts in the same direction as the car's deceleration.

3. The equations you have set up give the maximum acceleration that the car can have without the book sliding. This means that if the acceleration of the car exceeds this value, the book will start sliding. So, it is possible for the acceleration to be infinite if the car is at a certain angle and the coefficient of friction is low enough.

I hope this helps clarify your results. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

It seems like you are on the right track with your equations, but there may be some errors in your calculations or assumptions. Let's break down each scenario separately:

(1) The largest forward acceleration the car can have without the book sliding can be calculated using the following equation:

μs*(m*g*cos(θ) - m*a*sin(θ)) = m*g*sin(θ) + m*a*cos(θ)

Solving for a, we get:

a = (μs*m*g*cos(θ) - m*g*sin(θ)) / (m + μs*sin(θ)*cos(θ))

This equation gives the maximum acceleration without sliding, assuming the book can only slide backwards. If the book is sliding forwards, then the acceleration would be negative and the book would slide backwards. So, the equation you have for this scenario is correct.

(2) The largest acceleration the car can have when braking, without the book sliding, can be calculated using the following equation:

μs*(m*g*cos(θ) + m*a*sin(θ)) = m*a*cos(θ) - m*g*sin(θ)

Solving for a, we get:

a = (μs*m*g*cos(θ) - m*g*sin(θ)) / (m - μs*sin(θ)*cos(θ))

This equation gives the maximum acceleration without sliding, assuming the book can only slide forwards. If the book is sliding backwards, then the acceleration would be negative and the book would slide forwards. So, the equation you have for this scenario is also correct.

In both cases, the acceleration becomes infinite when θ = 90 degrees, which makes sense because at this angle, the book is in a vertical position and there is no friction force to prevent it from sliding.

Overall, your equations and approach seem to be correct. Just make sure to double check your calculations and assumptions to avoid any errors. Great job on thinking through this problem!

Related to How Does Seat Angle Affect Book Sliding in a Car?

What is acceleration without sliding?

Acceleration without sliding is the change in an object's velocity without any change in its position or without it sliding or moving in any direction.

How does acceleration without sliding occur?

Acceleration without sliding can occur when a force is applied to an object, causing it to change its velocity without any change in its position. This can happen when the force applied is parallel to the surface of the object, preventing it from sliding or moving.

What are some examples of acceleration without sliding?

One example is a car accelerating on a flat road without any wheels slipping or skidding. Another example is a book resting on a table and being pushed horizontally without sliding off the table.

What is the difference between acceleration without sliding and acceleration with sliding?

The main difference is that in acceleration without sliding, the object's position does not change, whereas in acceleration with sliding, the object's position does change. Additionally, acceleration without sliding requires a force to be applied parallel to the surface, while acceleration with sliding can occur with any applied force.

How is acceleration without sliding related to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Acceleration without sliding can be seen as an example of Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In acceleration without sliding, the object's velocity changes due to an applied force, while its position remains constant.