How Does Solenoid Turn Density Affect Induced EMF in a Nearby Loop?

• Thread starter xcvxcvvc
  • Start date
In summary, to find the magnitude of the average induced emf when the current increases by 25% in 0.1 seconds in a solenoid with 10 turns/cm and carrying a 4-A current, a circular loop with 5 turns of area i cm^2 lying within at 37 degrees to the solenoid's axis, we use the formula emf = N * d(flux)/dt, where the flux is given by B dot da. However, in order for the formula to be correctly used, all units must be in meters. By converting the solenoid's area from cm^2 to m^2 and using the correct units for magnetic field strength, we can find the final answer in
xcvxcvvc
didn't convert cm to m

Homework Statement

A solenoid has 10 turns/cm and carries a 4-A current. A circular loop with 5 turns of area i cm^2 lies within the solenoid with its axis at 37 degrees to the axis of the solenoid. Find the magnitude of the average induced emf if the current increases by 25% in .1 seconds.

Homework Equations

emf = N * d(flux)/dt
flux = B dot da

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about why the solenoid's area is not given. How is the loop's area relative to the solenoid's area not relevant?

Here's what I tried:
emf = N d(flux)/dt
= (N * A * cos(theta)) * (B(final) - B(initial))/(deltaT)
and B for a solenoid is
sol2.gif

so (N * A * cos(theta) * μ * n) * (I(f) - I(i))/(deltaT)
then ( 5 * 8 * cos(37) * 4 * pi * 10^-7 * 10) * (4 * 1.25 - 4)/ .1=4mV

the answer is in microvolts, so I'm obviously doing something completely wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
. Can someone please help me out?

Hello,

It seems like you may have forgotten to convert the units for the solenoid's area from cm^2 to m^2. Remember, in order to use the formula for flux (B dot da), all units must be in meters. Additionally, the units for the current should also be in amperes, not milliamperes.

To convert cm^2 to m^2, you can use the conversion factor 1 cm = 0.01 m. So, the solenoid's area would be 0.08 m^2.

Also, keep in mind that the units for magnetic field strength (B) are teslas (T), not webers (Wb). So, when you calculate the final and initial magnetic fields, make sure to use the correct units.

Once you make these conversions, your final answer should be in microvolts. I hope this helps!

As a scientist, it is important to pay attention to all the given information in a problem and make sure all units are consistent. In this case, the area of the solenoid is not given, but it is still relevant because it affects the magnetic field and therefore the flux and emf. Additionally, it is important to convert all units to the appropriate SI units, such as converting cm to m.

To solve this problem correctly, we need to first calculate the magnetic field inside the solenoid. Using the equation B = μ0 * n * I, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current, we can calculate the magnetic field to be B = 4π * 10^-4 T.

Next, we can calculate the flux through the circular loop using the equation Φ = B * A * cos(θ), where A is the area of the loop and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop. Since the loop is at an angle of 37 degrees to the axis of the solenoid, we can use cos(37) = 0.8. The area of the loop is given in cm^2, so we need to convert it to m^2 by dividing by 10,000. This gives us a flux of Φ = 0.8 * 5 * 10^-4 Wb.

Now, we can calculate the average induced emf using the equation emf = N * ΔΦ/Δt, where N is the number of turns in the loop, ΔΦ is the change in flux, and Δt is the change in time. In this case, since the current increases by 25% in 0.1 seconds, Δt = 0.1 seconds and ΔΦ = 0.8 * 5 * 10^-4 Wb * 0.25 = 0.1 * 10^-4 Wb. Therefore, the average induced emf is emf = 5 * 0.1 * 10^-4/0.1 = 5 * 10^-4 V = 500 μV.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully consider all the given information and make sure all units are consistent when solving a problem in science. In this case, by paying attention to the units

Related to How Does Solenoid Turn Density Affect Induced EMF in a Nearby Loop?

1. What does "Ignore this figured it out" mean?

"Ignore this figured it out" is a phrase commonly used to indicate that the person has solved a problem or found a solution to something, and that the previous discussion or information can be disregarded.

2. How does one use "Ignore this figured it out" in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, "Ignore this figured it out" can be used to indicate that a hypothesis or theory has been confirmed or rejected, and that the previous data or experiments can be disregarded in favor of the new information.

3. Is "Ignore this figured it out" a commonly used phrase in the scientific community?

While "Ignore this figured it out" may be used in informal discussions among scientists, it is not a formal or commonly used phrase in the scientific community. Scientists are more likely to use specific terminology and language to communicate their findings and conclusions.

4. Can "Ignore this figured it out" be considered a form of scientific jargon?

No, "Ignore this figured it out" is not considered a form of scientific jargon as it is not a commonly used or accepted term within the scientific community. Jargon refers to specialized terminology that is used within a specific field or profession, and "Ignore this figured it out" does not fit this criteria.

5. How does using "Ignore this figured it out" impact scientific communication?

Using "Ignore this figured it out" can potentially lead to confusion or misunderstandings in scientific communication. It is important for scientists to clearly and accurately communicate their findings and conclusions using established terminology and language to ensure effective communication within the scientific community.