How Does Sound Travel Time Affect Calculating the Fall of a Watermelon?

• Thread starter Jimmy84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, a physics student conducts an experiment where they drop a watermelon from a building and listen to it hit the ground 2.50 seconds later. They use the speed of sound (340m/s) and the equations for distance and time to calculate the time it takes for the watermelon to fall. After some calculations, they determine that the time for the watermelon to fall is 2.42 seconds. However, they have some confusion regarding the quadratic equation and dividing by the speed of sound. After further explanation, they understand that the result for time cannot be negative and 2.42 seconds is the correct result.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

a physics student allows a water melon to fall from a building ( initial velocity = 0) . The student listens the watermelon hitting the floor 2.50 seconds later.

The speed of sound is 340m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance that covers the speed of sound is the same distance as the one of the fall.

so Ds = Vs(ts) , Df = (1/2)gt^2 also T = tf + ts = 2.50 seconds

I tried to ge rid of ts

ts = (g tf^2) /2Vs then using the ecuation above the quadratic ecuation is

(g tf^2) /2Vs + tf - 2.5

the cuadratic for this is -1 +- (square root of 1) -4(0.01) (-2.5) / 0.02

What have I done wrong here? my solutionary says that tf is 2.42

It initailly divided (g tf^2) /2Vs + tf - 2.5 by Vs I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a given time - [tex]T[/tex]. The time of the melon falling is [tex]t_1[/tex] and the sound travels [tex]T-t_1[/tex]. Now you have two variables (time and distance) and two equations. Solve these and you get the result.

Tom83B said:
You have a given time - [tex]T[/tex]. The time of the melon falling is [tex]t_1[/tex] and the sound travels [tex]T-t_1[/tex]. Now you have two variables (time and distance) and two equations. Solve these and you get the result.

I tried Ds/Vs = T -tf that is (g tf^2) /2Vs + tf - T

I just don't understand why should I divide the quadratic equation by Vs in order to get

(g tf^2) /2 + tf Vs - TVs

Shouldnt (g tf^2) /2Vs + tf - T and (g tf^2) /2 + tf Vs - TVs have the same quadratic result for tf? I have problems only when I try to solve the quadratic equation.

Last edited:
Sorry it's to hard to read that. Use TEX and explain what is what...
But as far as I can gather from your posts - you're right that [tex]\frac{Ds}{V_s}=T-t_f[/tex]. For free fall applies [tex]h=\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex], in this case [tex]Ds=\frac{1}{2}g{t_f}^2[/tex]. Now you just need to solve these two equations.

Sorry I couldn't answer more precisely to your posts, but I really couldn't understand what you meant. When I look at it again and try to understand it - of course you get two results - one of them should be negative (less than zero), so you just take the result that is positive - you can't have negative time. 2.42 sounds quite correct is the result is supposed to be 2.5

I would like to point out that the solution to this problem involves more than just solving a quadratic equation. There are several factors that need to be considered in order to accurately determine the time it takes for the watermelon to hit the ground.

Firstly, we need to take into account the initial velocity of the watermelon, which is 0. This means that the watermelon is starting from rest and will accelerate due to gravity until it reaches the ground. Secondly, we need to consider the speed of sound, which is the speed at which the sound of the watermelon hitting the ground will travel to the student's ears. This will also affect the time it takes for the student to hear the sound of the impact.

In order to accurately solve this problem, we need to use the equations of motion for constant acceleration, where the initial velocity is 0. These equations are:

1. vf = vi + at
2. d = vit + (1/2)at^2
3. vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (in this case, due to gravity), t is the time, and d is the distance.

Using these equations, we can set up a system of equations to solve for the time it takes for the watermelon to hit the ground. We know that the final velocity of the watermelon is 0 m/s (since it hits the ground and stops moving), the initial velocity is also 0 m/s, and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

Equation 1 becomes 0 = 0 + 9.8t, which simplifies to t = 0 seconds.

Equation 2 becomes d = 0t + (1/2)(9.8)(t^2), which simplifies to d = (4.9)t^2.

We also know that the distance the sound travels is the same as the distance the watermelon falls, so we can set up another equation using the speed of sound (340 m/s).

Equation 3 becomes d = 340t.

Now we have a system of equations:

d = (4.9)t^2
d = 340t

Solving for t, we get t = 0 seconds or t = 69.4 seconds. However, we can disregard the solution

Related to How Does Sound Travel Time Affect Calculating the Fall of a Watermelon?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and position of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a problem of kinematics?

A problem of kinematics is a question or scenario that involves analyzing the motion and position of objects using the principles of kinematics.

3. What are the three basic concepts of kinematics?

The three basic concepts of kinematics are displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

4. What are the equations used in kinematics?

The four main equations used in kinematics are the kinematic equations, which relate the variables of displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. They are:
- v = u + at
- s = ut + 1/2at²
- v² = u² + 2as
- s = (u + v)t/2
Where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, t is time, and s is displacement.

5. How can kinematics be applied in real-life situations?

Kinematics has many practical applications, such as in engineering, sports, and navigation. For example, kinematics can be used to analyze the motion of a projectile in sports such as baseball or in the design of roller coasters. It can also be used in GPS technology to track the position and movement of vehicles.