How Does Speed Influence Complete Revolutions in Circular Motion?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a smooth circular wire and a small ring projected with speed u from the lowest point of the circle. The goal is to calculate the potential and kinetic energies of the ring and show that it will complete revolutions if u^2 > 4ga, using conservation of energy. The PE at the top point will be mgh, where h is the height of the top of the circle. The correct expressions for PE and KE energy are mgh for PE and 0.5(m)(v^2) for KE. By substituting h with a, the radius of the circle, the required answer can be obtained.
teme92

Homework Statement

A smooth circular wire of radius a is fixed with its plane vertical. A small ring
threaded on the wire is projected with speed u from the lowest point of the
circle. Taking gravitational acceleration to be the constant g, calculate the
potential energy and the kinetic energy of the ring. Assuming conservation
of energy, show that the ring will describe complete revolutions if:

u^2 > 4ga

Homework Equations

I know all relevant circular motion and SHM equations but don't know where to begin.

The Attempt at a Solution

I genuinely have no idea how to approach this problem. Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the potential and kinetic energies of the ring, at the bottom of the wire and top of the wire.
And use conservation of energy.

Likes 1 person
Hi nasu thanks for the speedy reply.

I'm having trouble visualizing the problem. Would the potential energy be equal to mgh + mg(0) as at the bottom of the wire h=0? And for kinetic energy do I use 0.5(m)(v^2)?

You don't add the potential energies.
The potential energy at the bottom may be zero, yes, if we measure it from that level.
At the PE at the top point will be mgh, where h is the height of the top pf the circle.

And yes, this is the formula for KE.

Likes 1 person
Ok and for the second part of the question where I'm asked to show that the ring will describe complete revolutions. What would show it describes complete revolutions?

Thanks again for the help.

Conservation of energy. I told you already.
But first you need the correct expressions for PE and KE energy.

Thanks for your patience, I'm new to these type of problems and I'm finding them tricky to understand.

So conservation of energy is PE=KE

PE=mgh

KE= 0.5(m)(v^2)

mgh=0.5(m)(v^2)

Putting in the form the question requires and I get:

u^2=2gh,

which isn't the required answer. Clearly the 'h' isn't part of the answer so how to I go about getting rid of it?

What is h in terms of a, the radius of the circle?

Likes 1 person
I completely forgot 'a' was the radius, I must have been half asleep last night doing this. I was thinking it was acceleration. Thanks a million, I have the solution now.

Related to How Does Speed Influence Complete Revolutions in Circular Motion?

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes along the circular path.

What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that acts on an object in circular motion, directing it towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration?

The centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the centripetal force increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in everyday life include a car driving along a curved road, a spinning top, a roller coaster, and the Earth orbiting around the Sun.