How Does Spherical Polar Coordinates Simplify the Coulomb Potential in K-Space?

In summary, the integral $\int e^{ik \cdot (r - r')} \frac{d^3 k}{(2 \pi)^3 k^2}$ represents the Coulomb potential in k-space and can be solved by first translating into spherical polar coordinates and then using a substitution and Bessel function identities. The relation $k^2 = \frac{\omega}{m}$ does not directly apply to this integral.
ognik
Hi - I've got myself mixed up here, please see what I am missing below ...

Show $ \int e^{ik \cdot (r - r')} \frac{d^3 k}{(2 \pi)^3 k^2} = \frac{1}{4 \pi}|r-r'| $

Let R = r-r', then $k \cdot (r - r') = kR cos \theta$

Next I would translate into spherical polar coords, using $\int d^3 k = \int_{0}^{\infty} r^2 \,dr \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \,d\phi \int_{0}^{\pi}sin \theta \,d\theta $

I am not sure I can just do that in 'k-space'? I know that $k^2 = \frac{\omega}{m}$ ... ? If my coordinate transform above is wrong (because of being in k space) please point me at the correct transform?

PS: I really would appreciate some help with this one, it shows one of those gaps in my background that I need to plug quickly - I write the exam next week ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, there are a few things that can be clarified to help you understand this integral better.

Firstly, the integral you are trying to solve is known as the Coulomb potential in k-space. This is a well-known result in physics and it represents the potential energy between two charged particles in Fourier space.

Now, to address your specific questions:

1. Can you just translate into spherical polar coordinates in k-space?

Yes, you can. In fact, this is the standard approach to solving this integral. The reason for this is that spherical polar coordinates are more suitable for dealing with the angular dependence of the Coulomb potential.

2. Is your coordinate transform incorrect because you are in k-space?

No, your coordinate transform is correct. In fact, in k-space, we use the same coordinate system as in real space. The only difference is that the coordinates are now in terms of wave vectors (k) instead of position vectors (r).

3. How does $k^2 = \frac{\omega}{m}$ fit into this integral?

In this case, $\omega$ represents the frequency of the wave and m represents the mass of the particle. This relation is known as the dispersion relation and it relates the frequency of the wave to its wave vector. However, in this integral, we are not dealing with a specific wave or particle, so this relation is not directly applicable here.

To solve this integral, you can use the substitution $kRcos\theta = x$ and then use the identity $\int_{0}^{2\pi} e^{ikRcos\theta} d\phi = 2\pi J_0(kR)$, where $J_0$ is the Bessel function of the first kind. This will simplify the integral to $\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{2\pi}{k} J_0(kR) dk$, which can be solved using the integral representation of $J_0$.

I hope this helps you understand the integral better. Good luck with your exam!

Related to How Does Spherical Polar Coordinates Simplify the Coulomb Potential in K-Space?

1. What is the K space Fourier transform?

The K space Fourier transform is a mathematical technique used in image processing and signal analysis to convert spatial data into frequency data. It is commonly used in MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to create images of the human body.

2. How does the K space Fourier transform work?

The K space Fourier transform works by breaking down a signal or image into its individual frequency components. It then maps these components onto a grid in K space, where each point represents a specific frequency. This transformation allows for the separation of different frequencies within a signal or image.

3. What is the difference between K space and real space?

K space refers to the mathematical representation of frequencies in an image or signal, while real space refers to the actual physical space in which the image or signal is located. K space is typically a two-dimensional grid, while real space is three-dimensional.

4. What are the applications of the K space Fourier transform?

The K space Fourier transform has many applications in medical imaging, including MRI, CT scans, and ultrasound. It is also used in other fields such as astronomy, radio signal processing, and radar imaging.

5. What are the limitations of the K space Fourier transform?

The K space Fourier transform has some limitations, such as the assumption of a stationary signal, which may not hold true for some real-world signals. It also requires a large amount of data and complex mathematical calculations, which can be time-consuming and computationally expensive.