How Does Spinning a Mass Affect Atomic Spacing in a Wire?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the movement of a mass attached to a wire and how it affects the spacing of atoms in the wire. The individual is trying to find the force on the wire and the acceleration of the mass in order to calculate the extension of the wire and the distance the atoms will move. Young's modulus is also mentioned as a given.
quark001
I whirl a mass m attached to a wire with length L and diameter d around my head in the horizontal plane. The mass takes t seconds to move around a circle. How far do the atoms in the wire move apart, compared to their spacing at rest? Young's modulus is given.

Okay, so Y = stress/strain. For strain I need the force on the wire, and from there I can solve for the extension of the wire and use that to calculate how far the atoms move. But how do I get the force?

Physics news on Phys.org
quark001 said:
But how do I get the force?
Apply Newton's 2nd law to the mass. What's its acceleration?

Related to How Does Spinning a Mass Affect Atomic Spacing in a Wire?

1. What is the flying circular mass problem?

The flying circular mass problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a mass moving in a circular path while experiencing a centripetal force. This problem is often used in introductory physics courses to demonstrate concepts such as circular motion, centripetal force, and Newton's laws of motion.

2. How do you solve the flying circular mass problem?

The flying circular mass problem can be solved using equations derived from Newton's laws of motion and circular motion principles. The first step is to draw a free-body diagram and identify all the forces acting on the mass. Then, using the equations F=ma and a=v^2/r, you can solve for the acceleration and velocity of the mass. Finally, you can use these values to determine the time and distance traveled by the mass.

3. What are the key concepts involved in the flying circular mass problem?

The key concepts involved in the flying circular mass problem are circular motion, centripetal force, and Newton's laws of motion. Circular motion refers to the motion of an object along a circular path, while centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law (F=ma) and the third law (action and reaction), are also important in solving this problem.

4. What are some real-life applications of the flying circular mass problem?

The flying circular mass problem has many real-life applications, such as the motion of planets around the sun, the behavior of satellites in orbit, and the motion of a ball on a string. It is also relevant in understanding the forces acting on roller coasters, carousels, and other amusement park rides.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving the flying circular mass problem?

One common mistake when solving the flying circular mass problem is forgetting to include all the forces acting on the mass, such as the tension force from the string or the force of gravity. Another mistake is using the incorrect formula for centripetal acceleration, which is often confused with tangential acceleration. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the forces and use proper vector notation in calculations.