How Does Stretching a Wire Affect Its Resistance?

In summary, the resistance of the wire is 50 ohm when stretched to 50 cm and the formula used is R1/R2 = length1^2/length2^2. Some friends suggested using the formula R1/R2 = length1/length2, but this is incorrect as it only applies if the cross-sectional area remains the same.
logearav

Homework Statement

Resistance of a metal wire of length 10 cm is 2 ohm. If the wire is stretched uniformly to 50 cm, the resistance is-----

Homework Equations

R = (Specific resistance * length)/ Area
R1= (specific resistance * length1^2)/ Volume
similarly for R2
so R1/R2 = length1^2 / length2^2
so the resistance is 50 ohm.
Am i correct? some of my friends say that i should go for R1/R2 = length1 / length2, when applied i get the answer 10 ohm.
Which is correct?
could u help?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi logearav! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
logearav said:
R1 = specific resistance * length1^2 / volume
R2 = specific resistance * length2^2 / volume
when simplified R1/R2 = length1^2 / length2^2 which gives 50 ohm
some friends say i should use the formula R1 / R2 = length1 / length 2 which gives the answer 10 ohm
which is correct? could u help

your formula is correct

length1/length2 only applies if the cross-section area stays the same …

resistance is proportional to length, and inversely proportional to area, so altogether it's proportional to length/area, = length2/volume :smile:

You're correct. The volume remains constant, so the cross-sectional area must change, which will affect the resistance of the wire.

Related to How Does Stretching a Wire Affect Its Resistance?

What is resistance and how is it measured?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current.

What factors affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material is affected by several factors including the type of material, its length, its cross-sectional area, and its temperature. Materials with higher resistivity and longer lengths will have higher resistance, while materials with larger cross-sectional areas and higher temperatures will have lower resistance.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of resistance?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. However, in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance. This is because in a parallel circuit, the current has multiple paths to flow through, resulting in a lower overall resistance.

How can the resistance of a material be reduced?

The resistance of a material can be reduced by increasing its cross-sectional area, decreasing its length, or using a material with lower resistivity. Additionally, cooling the material can also decrease its resistance as temperature affects resistivity.

Why is resistance important in electrical circuits?

Resistance is important because it helps control the flow of current in a circuit. By adjusting the resistance, we can control the amount of current that flows through a circuit and prevent damage to the components. It is also an essential concept in designing and analyzing circuits.