How Does String Length and Tension Affect Harmonics and Overtones?

In summary, the guitar string with a length of 60.0 cm, diameter of 1.40 mm, and tension of 289 N emits a note with a frequency of 147 Hz. When producing the third harmonic, the frequency would be 441 Hz. When emitting the third overtone, which is the fourth harmonic, the frequency would be 4 times the fundamental frequency, resulting in 588 Hz. It is also important to note that overtones are counted above the fundamental frequency, with the sequence being fundamental frequency, first overtone, second overtone, third overtone, etc.
nblu
Hi, thank you for reading this.

The question is;

"A guitar string 60.0 cm in length, with a diameter of 1.40 mm and a tension of 289 N,
emits a note with a frequency of 147 Hz. Find the frequency in each of the following
situations"

d) The string produces the third harmonic of the 147 Hz fundamental frequency.
e) The string emits the third overtone of its 147 Hz fundamental.

There were 3 leading question which were just "substitute" and solve into the
equation however, the last two questions are giving me an headache.

For instance, in "D", it mentions the third harmonic of the 147 Hz, so I've began with;
3 (147Hz) = 441 Hz, then I have no idea what to do next..

Could anybody please give me some advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
nblu said:
Hi, thank you for reading this.

The question is;

"A guitar string 60.0 cm in length, with a diameter of 1.40 mm and a tension of 289 N,
emits a note with a frequency of 147 Hz. Find the frequency in each of the following
situations"

d) The string produces the third harmonic of the 147 Hz fundamental frequency.
e) The string emits the third overtone of its 147 Hz fundamental.

There were 3 leading question which were just "substitute" and solve into the
equation however, the last two questions are giving me an headache.

For instance, in "D", it mentions the third harmonic of the 147 Hz, so I've began with;

Could anybody please give me some advice?

It looks like all they're asking you to do is apply the definitions of "nth harmonic" and "nth overtone". You should be correct for part (d), in that the third harmonic has 3 times the frequency of the fundamental frequency for the string.

As for part (e), check your source's definitions, but usually, the overtones are counted above the fundamental frequency. So the sequence goes fundamental frequency, first overtone, second overtone, third overtone, etc. So the third overtone would be which harmonic? That will tell you its frequency.

dynamicsolo said:
It looks like all they're asking you to do is apply the definitions of "nth harmonic" and "nth overtone". You should be correct for part (d), in that the third harmonic has 3 times the frequency of the fundamental frequency for the string.

As for part (e), check your source's definitions, but usually, the overtones are counted above the fundamental frequency. So the sequence goes fundamental frequency, first overtone, second overtone, third overtone, etc. So the third overtone would be which harmonic? That will tell you its frequency.

Hi dynamic, thanks for your comment, again :P
Third Overtone is the fourth harmonic which would be calculated as 4 (147Mz), right?

I've calculated both answers already
but I didn't think it was supposed to be that simple...lol

nblu said:

That's all there is to it, as far as I can see. For "E", what's the definition of overtone?

Doc Al said:
That's all there is to it, as far as I can see. For "E", what's the definition of overtone?

According to a chart that I've looked up;

Third Overtone = Fourth Harmonic = 4(fo) = Pitch of A note hehe

FAQ: How Does String Length and Tension Affect Harmonics and Overtones?

What is the frequency of a vibrating string?

The frequency of a vibrating string is the number of complete back-and-forth cycles the string makes in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

How is the frequency of a vibrating string determined?

The frequency of a vibrating string is determined by the tension, length, and mass per unit length of the string. These factors affect the speed at which the waves travel along the string, which in turn determines the frequency.

What is the relationship between frequency and pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly related to its pitch. A higher frequency corresponds to a higher pitch, and a lower frequency corresponds to a lower pitch.

How does the frequency of a vibrating string change with tension?

Increasing the tension on a string will increase its frequency. This is because the higher tension causes the waves to travel faster along the string, resulting in a higher frequency.

What is the formula for calculating the frequency of a vibrating string?

The formula for calculating the frequency of a vibrating string is f = (1/2L)√(T/μ), where f is frequency, L is length, T is tension, and μ is mass per unit length. This is known as the fundamental frequency or first harmonic.