How Does Sunlight Intensity Translate to Force on Earth?

In summary, the intensity of light from the Sun at the distance of the Earth is 1.3 kW/m^2 and the Earth's radius is 6.4 × 10^6 m. To find the magnitude of the resulting force on the Earth, the formula F=IA/c must be used with the correct area. The correct area to use is the cross-sectional area of the Earth, rather than its surface area or half of its total surface area. This will give an accurate measurement of how much sunlight the Earth is "catching".
sgoeke

Homework Statement

The intensity of light from the Sun is 1.3 kW/m^2 at the distance of the Earth. The Earth’s radius is 6.4 × 10^6 m. If all the sunlight that hits the Earth were absorbed, what would be the magnitude of the resulting force on the Earth?

Homework Equations

F=IA/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted KW/m^2 to W/m^2 and got 1300 W/m^2. For area I used 4pi*r^2 and plugged those values into the equation but I can't seem to get the correct answer. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sgoeke,

sgoeke said:

Homework Statement

The intensity of light from the Sun is 1.3 kW/m^2 at the distance of the Earth. The Earth’s radius is 6.4 × 10^6 m. If all the sunlight that hits the Earth were absorbed, what would be the magnitude of the resulting force on the Earth?

Homework Equations

F=IA/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted KW/m^2 to W/m^2 and got 1300 W/m^2. For area I used 4pi*r^2

This formula gives the surface area of a sphere. Do you see why this is the wrong area to use for this problem?

and plugged those values into the equation but I can't seem to get the correct answer. Any help?

would i need to find the volume of the earth?

sgoeke said:
would i need to find the volume of the earth?

No, the formula needs an area; the question is which area to use. It's not the surface area of the Earth (after all, the "back" of the Earth is not getting sunlight at all). And it is not just half of the total surface area. What type of area is important here? Remember that the idea is to find how much of the sunlight the Earth is "catching", in a sense.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the units used. The intensity of light is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m^2), while force is measured in units of newtons (N). It is important to use consistent units in order to properly calculate the resulting force.

Using the given values, the intensity of light at the distance of the Earth can be calculated as 1.3 kW/m^2 or 1,300 W/m^2. The Earth's radius can be converted to meters as 6.4 x 10^6 m.

Next, we can use the equation F=IA/c to calculate the resulting force on the Earth. Here, I represents the intensity of light, A represents the area of the Earth that is exposed to the sunlight, and c represents the speed of light. Plugging in the values, we get:

F = (1,300 W/m^2) x (4π x (6.4 x 10^6 m)^2) / (2.998 x 10^8 m/s) = 1.7 x 10^17 N

This is a very large force, but it is important to note that not all of the sunlight that hits the Earth is absorbed. Some is reflected or scattered back into space, so the actual force on the Earth would be less than this calculated value.

In summary, the magnitude of the resulting force on the Earth from the intensity of light is approximately 1.7 x 10^17 N.

Related to How Does Sunlight Intensity Translate to Force on Earth?

What is the relationship between force and intensity of light?

The force exerted by light on an object is directly proportional to the intensity of the light. This means that as the intensity of light increases, the force also increases.

How is force from intensity of light measured?

The unit of measurement for force from intensity of light is called the radiation pressure, and it is measured in pascals (Pa). This unit represents the amount of force exerted per unit area of the object being illuminated.

Can force from intensity of light be both attractive and repulsive?

Yes, force from intensity of light can be both attractive and repulsive, depending on the properties of the object being illuminated. For example, if the object is highly reflective, the force will be repulsive, while if the object is highly absorbent, the force will be attractive.

How does the distance from the light source affect force from intensity of light?

The force from intensity of light decreases as the distance from the light source increases. This is because the intensity of light decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker force being exerted on the object.

What other factors can affect force from intensity of light?

The type of light (e.g. visible, ultraviolet, infrared) and the surface properties of the object (e.g. reflectivity, absorbency) can also affect force from intensity of light. Additionally, the size and shape of the object may also play a role in determining the magnitude and direction of the force.