How Does Temperature Affect the Movement of Mercury in a Thermometer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the change in length of a mercury column in a Pyrex glass thermometer in response to a change in temperature. The relevant equations are provided and a formula is determined for the change in length, taking into consideration the coefficients for α and β of both Pyrex glass and mercury. The initial attempt at a solution raises the issue of not knowing the height of the mercury, but a potential approach for solving the problem is suggested.
Kingrly

Homework Statement

(a) The tube of a mercury thermometer (made of Pyrex glass) has an inside diameter of 0.140 mm. The bulb has a volume of 0.275 cm3. How far will the thread of mercury move when the temperature changes from 10.5 degrees Celsius to 33.0 degrees Celsius?

(b) Determine a formula for the change in length of the mercury column in terms of relevant variables. Ignore tube volume compared to bulb volume.

αPYREX = 3 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1
βPYREX = 9 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1
βMERCURY = 180 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1

Homework Equations

(I) ∆V = β(V0)∆T
(II) ∆L = α(L0)∆T

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the change in the volume of the bulb via equation I, but I am unsure where to head from here. Without knowing the height of the mercury within the thermometer (save for the temperature intervals), I am unsure of how to find the change in volume of the tube or the change in volume of the mercury itself. Any hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (b), I was thinking of an equation in the form of:∆L = mα(L0)∆T + nβ(V0)∆TWhere m and n are coefficients to be determined. Is this a valid approach?

Your approach so far is correct. To find the change in volume of the tube, you can use the fact that the volume of a cylinder is given by V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height. In this case, you know the inside diameter of the tube (0.140 mm) and the change in temperature (∆T = 33.0 - 10.5 = 22.5 degrees Celsius). You can use equation II to find the change in length of the tube, and then plug that value into the volume equation to find the change in volume.

To find the change in volume of the mercury, you can use the fact that the density of mercury is constant, so the change in volume will be directly proportional to the change in length. You can use the βMERCURY value to find the change in length of the mercury column, and then use that value to find the change in volume.

Once you have the change in volumes of the tube and the mercury, you can add them together to find the total change in volume. From there, you can use equation I to find the change in length of the thread of mercury. Just remember to use the appropriate β value for each component (βPYREX for the tube and βMERCURY for the mercury).

Related to How Does Temperature Affect the Movement of Mercury in a Thermometer?

1. What is the purpose of expanding a thermometer?

The expansion of a thermometer is used to measure changes in temperature. When the temperature increases, the liquid inside the thermometer expands and rises in the tube, indicating a higher temperature. When the temperature decreases, the liquid contracts and the level in the thermometer drops, indicating a lower temperature.

2. How does a thermometer expand?

Most thermometers use a liquid, such as mercury or alcohol, that expands when heated. This expansion is due to the increase in kinetic energy of the molecules in the liquid, causing them to move further apart and take up more space, resulting in a higher level in the thermometer.

3. Can a thermometer expand too much?

Yes, a thermometer can expand too much if it is exposed to extremely high temperatures. Each type of liquid used in a thermometer has a maximum temperature at which it can expand before it reaches its boiling point and turns into a gas. It is important to use a thermometer that is suitable for the temperature range you are measuring.

4. What happens if a thermometer is not allowed to expand?

If a thermometer is not allowed to expand, the liquid inside will be compressed and the level in the thermometer will not accurately reflect the temperature. This can happen if the thermometer is placed in a sealed container or if the tube is bent or damaged, preventing the liquid from expanding freely.

5. Is there a limit to how much a thermometer can expand?

There is no physical limit to how much a thermometer can expand. However, practical limitations include the maximum temperature range of the liquid used and the design of the thermometer. For example, some thermometers may have a maximum length of the liquid column, limiting how much it can expand before it reaches the top of the tube.