How Does Temperature and Pressure Affect Gibbs Free Energy in Water?

P which is equal to dG/V. We can then plug in the calculated dG value and the calculated volume of 18 m^3 to find the necessary pressure change.In summary, to determine the change in Gibbs free energy when raising the temperature of a mole of water from 198 K to 303 K, the equation S=-(dG/dT) can be used. To calculate the necessary pressure change to compensate for this change in Gibbs free energy, the equation V=dG/dP can be rearranged to solve for dP, which is then equal to dG/V. The volume of 1 mole of water can be calculated using the equation NKT/P =
pentazoid

Homework Statement

Suppose you have a mole of water at 198 K. and atmospheric pressure. use the data at the bac of this book to determine what happens to its gibbs free energy if you raise the temperature to 303 Kelvins. To compensate for this change, you could increase the pressure of the water. How much pressure would be require?

Homework Equations

V=(dG/dP), N and T are fixed
S=-(dG/dT), N and P are constant
delta(G)=delta(H)-Tdelta(S)

The Attempt at a Solution

H2O=> H2+.5*O2

delta(G)=-237.13 kJ/mol at 298 K(from thermodynamic reference table in back of my textbook).

I don't think I can used the equation delta(G)=delta(H)-Tdelta(S) since the temperature now changes ; therefore I turn to the equation S=-(dG)/dT. dT=303K-298 = 5 Kelvins. Not sure how to find

for the second part of the problem, I am now concerned with the amount of pressure I would add to compensate for the change in Gibbs free energy when the temperature increases. I think I would used the thermodynaimic identity equation , V=dG/dP? I would already have calculated dG from my equation S=-(dG/dT). How would I calculate my volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't know how to calculate the volume of a mole of water? :smile:
Also, doesn't your book have the specific or molar entropy of water?

Mapes said:
You don't know how to calculate the volume of a mole of water? :smile:
Also, doesn't your book have the specific or molar entropy of water?

sure I know how to calculate the volume of 1 mole of water: I could either use NKT/P = V equation or used the knowledge that 1 mole of water is 18 grams which means the volume of water is 18 m^3 since density of water is 1.00 kg /m^3

Well, the first way only works with ideal gases...
The second way has some calculation errors or typos, but at least it's the right general approach. Does this help in calculating the necessary pressure for the desired change in G?

Mapes said:
Well, the first way only works with ideal gases...
The second way has some calculation errors or typos, but at least it's the right general approach. Does this help in calculating the necessary pressure for the desired change in G?

yes since V=dG/dP

Related to How Does Temperature and Pressure Affect Gibbs Free Energy in Water?

1. What is Gibbs free energy?

Gibbs free energy is a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of energy available in a system to do work. It takes into account both the enthalpy (heat content) and entropy (degree of disorder) of a system.

2. How is Gibbs free energy used in chemistry?

In chemistry, Gibbs free energy is used to determine whether a reaction is spontaneous or not. A negative ΔG indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a positive ΔG indicates a non-spontaneous reaction.

3. What is the equation for calculating Gibbs free energy?

The equation for Gibbs free energy is ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy.

4. What does a negative value for ΔG indicate?

A negative value for ΔG indicates that a reaction is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction. This means that the products of the reaction are more stable than the reactants.

5. How does temperature affect Gibbs free energy?

Temperature has a direct effect on Gibbs free energy. As temperature increases, the value of ΔG becomes more negative, making the reaction more spontaneous. This is because higher temperatures increase the amount of disorder in a system (ΔS), which offsets the positive value of ΔH in the equation.