How Does Temperature Change When Two Halves of a Heated Cylinder Are Rejoined?

In summary, when a long homogeneous cylinder is cut in half and one half is heated while the other is cooled before being joined back together, the temperature will remain unchanged due to the cylinder being well isolated. The use of the equation $$T(r,\varphi ,t)=\sum _{m,n}J_{m,n}(\xi _{m,n}\frac r R)[B_m cos(m\varphi )+C_msin(m\varphi )]e^{-i\omega t}$$ can be used to understand the behavior of the temperature, taking into account the boundary conditions at the edges of the cylinder. The determination of the coefficients B and C depends on the symmetry of the system and the chosen coordinate system.
skrat

Homework Statement

A very long homogeneous cylinder is cut in half along its axis. One half s than equally heated, while the other half is equally cooled. How does the temperature change when the two parts are joined back together, if the cylinder is well isolated?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmm,
I know I can work with $$T(r,\varphi ,t)=\sum _{m,n}J_{m,n}(\xi _{m,n}\frac r R)[B_m cos(m\varphi )+C_msin(m\varphi )]e^{-i\omega t}$$where ##\xi _{m,n}## is m-th zero of n-th Bessel function, but what I do not understand at this point is why all ##B_m## are zero?

Because if I am not mistaken, one boundary condition is $$j=-\lambda \frac{\partial }{\partial r}T(r=R,\varphi t)=0$$ and the other should be something at ##\varphi =0## or ##\varphi =\pi ##. I guess? I assume this second bondary condition will also tell me why the ##cos## is gone in the first equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
After you rejoin the cylinder, there really is no boundary in the ##\phi## coordinate. If the ##B_m## or ##C_m## are zero depends on how you put your coordinate system. The type of argument to be used to see this is based on symmetry (or actually performing the integrals to solve for the coefficients).

Related to How Does Temperature Change When Two Halves of a Heated Cylinder Are Rejoined?

1. What is a Partial Differential Equation (PDE)?

A PDE is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How does a heated cylinder relate to Partial Differential Equations?

A heated cylinder is a common example used to illustrate the solution of a PDE. The temperature inside the cylinder can be described using a PDE, where the independent variables are time and spatial coordinates.

3. What are the different types of PDEs commonly used to model a heated cylinder?

The most commonly used PDEs to model a heated cylinder are the heat equation, Laplace's equation, and the Navier-Stokes equation. Each of these equations describes different physical phenomena occurring in the cylinder, such as heat transfer, electrostatics, and fluid flow.

4. How are PDEs solved for a heated cylinder?

PDEs are typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference methods or finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the PDE into a system of algebraic equations that can be solved using computers.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving PDEs for heated cylinders?

Solving PDEs for heated cylinders has many practical applications, including predicting the temperature distribution in industrial processes, designing efficient heating or cooling systems, and optimizing the performance of engines and turbines. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, geology, and medical imaging.