How does tension and weight affect induction?

In summary, the problem involves a conductive bar CD with a length of 20 cm and resistance R, moving with speed v=5 m/s in a perpendicular magnetic field with an induction of B=2 T. The mass of the object is m=80 grams and g=10 m/s^2. The objective is to find the direction and intensity of the induced current in CD, as well as the resistance of the bar. The solution involves using the equations Emf=B*L*v and I=emf/R to find the induced current, and then using Tension= mg-ma and B*i*l=m*g to find the direction and resistance of the current respectively. Finally, the direction of the induced current is determined to be from
Questions999

Homework Statement

The conductive bar CD with a length of 20 cm and resistance R, moves with speed v=5 m/s. The magnetic field is perpendicular with the plan and the induction is B=2 T.
The mass of the object in the figure is m=80 grams and g=10 m/ s^2
a) find the direction and the intensity of the induced current that moves in CD
b) The resistance of this bar

Homework Equations

Figure : http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r549/Elaia06/?action=view&current=hrtfg.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using Emf=B*L*v and then I=emf/R but i don't know the R..
I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW TO RELATE Tension and weight with induction//

Physics news on Phys.org
If the bar is moving at a constant speed this tells you something about the resultant force on the bar?
There is a force due to the weight of the mass and there is a force due to any induced current flowing in the wire CD.

Hello Elaia06,
You have to find the induced current first which as truesearch points out bases itself on the fact that the rod is moving at a constant velocity.Tension can be found out basing your derivations on the same fact.Direction of induced current comes out as a result of the same(analyse the forces on the rod and see which direction of current corresponds to equilibrium).Then for resistance you have adequate expressions in your attempt .
regards
Yukoel

Ah, the resultant force is zero.This means the only force acting on the bar is the magnetic force F=B*i*l.
Now we have the Tension= mg-ma but acceleration is zero so we write
Magnetic force = Force on the string
B*i*l=m*g
I know how to solve this now
The magnetic force will have the direction <---- based on the figure and the induced current the direction from left to right .

IS IT CORRECT NOW?

Last edited:
you haven't used v or R :confused:

after i find I, then I use I=b*L*v/R and so I find R :)
Is it correct in total?

yes, that's correct :smile:

Thank you very much sweetheart! :D

Related to How does tension and weight affect induction?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. It surrounds magnets and electric currents and can attract or repel other magnets or charged particles.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electric charges, such as the flow of electrons in a wire or the spin of electrons in an atom. It can also be created by permanent magnets, which have their own magnetic fields.

3. How does a magnetic field affect objects?

A magnetic field can affect objects in several ways. It can attract or repel other magnets or charged particles, cause electric currents to flow, and create a force on moving charged particles, such as in a motor or generator.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units called tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss. The strength of a magnetic field can also be measured using a device called a magnetometer.

5. What are some common uses of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications. They are used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, in MRI machines for medical imaging, and in various electronic devices such as speakers and hard drives.