How Does Tension Direction Affect Torque in a Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks with different masses and a pulley with a specific radius. When the blocks are released, the second block falls a certain distance in a given time without the cord slipping on the pulley. The conversation then asks for the magnitude of acceleration of the blocks, as well as the tensions on the cord and the pulley's angular acceleration and rotational inertia. The conversation also includes a question about the direction of torque in the problem.
kari82
Block 1 has mass m1 = 460g, block 2 has mass m2 = 500g, and the pulley, which is mounted on a horizontal axle with negligible friction, has radius R = 5.00cm. When released from rest, block 2 falls 75.0 cm in 5.00 s without the cord slipping on the pulley. (a) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks? What are (b) tension T2 and (c) tension T2? (d) What is the magnitude of the pulley's angular acceleration? (e) What is its rotational inertia?

I have solved most of the problem, but I just have one question about e. Solving the previous questions we get that angular velocity is 1.2 rad/s^2, T1=4.5 N and T2=4.87 N. I know that I=torque/angular velocity. The book says that the net torque in this case is r(T2-T1).. Here is my question. Why is T1 negative?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
because T1 will tend to rotate the pulley in opposite direction as compared to T2

also you can use cross product rule to find that direction of the two torques in opposite

Related to How Does Tension Direction Affect Torque in a Pulley System?

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. It is determined by the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, while rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Mass is an intrinsic property of an object, while rotational inertia depends on the object's mass and its distribution around its axis of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between rotational inertia and torque?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to produce rotational motion. The relationship between rotational inertia and torque is similar to the relationship between mass and acceleration in linear motion. The greater the rotational inertia of an object, the more torque is needed to produce a given amount of rotational acceleration.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect rotational inertia?

The distribution of mass around an object's axis of rotation plays a significant role in determining its rotational inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated towards the axis of rotation have a lower rotational inertia compared to objects with the same mass but with the mass distributed further away from the axis.

5. How can rotational inertia be calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. For more complex objects, the parallel axis theorem can be used to calculate the rotational inertia by considering the object's shape and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.