How Does the Angle Affect Cable Tension in a Tow Truck Scenario?

In summary, the problem involves a tow truck connected to a 1500 kg car with a cable at a 23o angle to the horizontal. The truck accelerates at 0.59 m/s2 and we need to find the magnitude of the cable tension. To incorporate the angle into the equation, we can resolve the forces into components in the x and y directions, using the formula F= (M * a)/cos (theta) + m * g * sin (theta).
hofluff87
A tow truck is connected to a 1500 kg car by a cable that makes a 23o angle to the horizontal. If the truck accelerates at 0.59 m/s2, what is the magnitude of the cable tension? Neglect friction and the mass of the cable.

i know that the car is accelerating at the same rate. my question is how do you include the angle into the equation for the cable tension?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the purpose of the angle is so that you can de-compose the problems into components, Fx and Fy. Try to resolve both forces on the x-direction and y-direction first

I got it

F= (M * a)/cos (theta)

Related to How Does the Angle Affect Cable Tension in a Tow Truck Scenario?

1. What is cable tension at an angle?

Cable tension at an angle refers to the amount of force or tension applied to a cable when it is pulled at an angle instead of straight. This can occur when a cable is attached to two points that are not directly in line with each other.

2. Why is cable tension at an angle important?

Cable tension at an angle is important because it affects the overall stability and strength of a structure. If the tension is not properly accounted for, it can lead to structural failures and safety hazards.

3. How is cable tension at an angle calculated?

Cable tension at an angle is calculated using trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem. The angle of the cable, the distance between the attachment points, and the weight or force applied to the cable are all factors in the calculation.

4. What are some common methods for managing cable tension at an angle?

There are several methods for managing cable tension at an angle, including using turnbuckles or tensioners to adjust the tension, using multiple cables for added support, and ensuring that the attachment points are secure and in line with the direction of the tension.

5. How does temperature affect cable tension at an angle?

Temperature can have a significant impact on cable tension at an angle. As temperatures change, the length and elasticity of the cable can also change, leading to fluctuations in tension. This must be taken into account during the initial calculation and ongoing maintenance of the cable.