How Does the Changing Current in a Solenoid Affect a Coil Within It?

In summary, a square coil with a resistance of 2.00 \Omega and dimensions of 4.00 cm per side is located inside an ideal solenoid with 125 windings per centimeter of length. If the current in the solenoid is increasing at a constant rate of 1.50 A/s, the induced current in the square coil can be found using the formula \epsilon=\left|.04 m^{2}*\frac{N}{L}*\mu_{0}*\frac{di}{dt}\right|. To determine the direction of the induced current, use V=IR.
ttiger2k7
[SOLVED] EMF problem - Current in Coil

Homework Statement

A small square coil is located inside an ideal solenoid at the center with its plane oriented perpendicular to the axis of the solenoid. The resistance of this coil is 2.00 [tex]\Omega[/tex] and each side is 4.00 cm long. The solenoid has 125 windings per centimeter of length. If the current in the solenoid is increasing at a constant rate of 1.50 A/s, the current in the square coil is:

a) steady at 18.8 [tex]\mu A[/tex]
b) initially equal at 18.8 [tex]\mu A[/tex] but is increasing
c) increasing at 1.50 A/s
d) decreasing at 1.50 A/s
e) zero

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon=\frac{d\Phi_{B}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]
\Phi_{B}=BA
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I plugged in what I know for magnetic flux:

[tex]\Phi_{B}=BA=B(.04 m^{2})[/tex]

Then I used that information to plug into the induced emf formula:

And since

[tex]B=\frac{N}{L}*i*\mu_{0}[/tex]

Then

[tex]\epsilon=\left|.04 m^{2}*\frac{N}{L}*\mu_{0}*\frac{di}{dt}\right|[/tex]

where
[tex]\frac{di}{dt}[/tex] is 1.5 A/S
N = (125 *.04 m) = 5

My question is, am I going about this the right way? And if so, How do I find L and how can I use that to eventually get to the induced current?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well [itex]\frac{N}{L}[/itex] is the number of turns per unit length. Which is given in the question. (Just convert the units)

When you get the induced emf, use V=IR to find the induced current...

Okay. (I thought L was inductance). I got a value, but how do I know if its increasing/decreasing, or steady?

Last edited:

Related to How Does the Changing Current in a Solenoid Affect a Coil Within It?

1. What is an EMF problem?

An EMF problem, also known as electromagnetic field problem, refers to the phenomenon of an induced electric current in a coil of wire when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and has important applications in various fields such as electronics, power generation, and communication.

2. What causes EMF in a coil?

EMF in a coil is caused by Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a nearby conductor. When the coil is exposed to a changing magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the coil changes, resulting in the generation of an EMF.

3. How does the number of turns in a coil affect EMF?

The number of turns in a coil has a direct effect on the magnitude of EMF. According to Faraday's law, the induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux and the number of turns in the coil. Therefore, increasing the number of turns in a coil will increase the induced EMF.

4. How can EMF in a coil be reduced?

The most effective way to reduce EMF in a coil is by using a material with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, to create a magnetic shield around the coil. This shield will redirect the magnetic field and reduce the amount of flux passing through the coil, thereby reducing the induced EMF.

5. What are the practical applications of EMF in coils?

EMF in coils has numerous practical applications, including generators, transformers, electric motors, and inductors used in electronic circuits. It is also used in wireless charging, electromagnetic sensors, and in medical devices such as MRI machines. Understanding and controlling EMF in coils is crucial for the functioning of these devices and technologies.