How does the distinctness of values in a matrix A affect its determinant?

In summary, the given equation has n solutions if and only if the given values a1, a2, ..., an are distinct. The determinant of matrix A must be zero for this to be true, which means that the rows (or columns) of A must be linearly dependent. This is only possible if the values a1, a2, ..., an are distinct from each other.
mathbug

Homework Statement

Let a1, a2, ..., an live in R. Prove that the equation

det [ A ] = 0

where A:
1 x x^2 ... x^n
1 a1 a1^2 ... a1^n
1 a2 a2^2 ... a2^n
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
1 an an^2 ... an^n

has exactly n solutions if and only if the a1, ..., an are distinct; i.e. ai=/=aj for all i=/=j

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my problem is that I don't even know where to really start. So my attempts at a solution don't exactly make much sense. I was just playing around hoping I would come up with something, which I didn't

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What property of a matrix [tex]A[/tex] ensures that its determinant is zero (or, inversely, not zero)? How does this property connect to the relationships between the rows (or columns) of [tex]A[/tex]?

Related to How does the distinctness of values in a matrix A affect its determinant?

1. What is linear algebra proof?

Linear algebra proof is a method of proving mathematical statements and theorems related to linear algebra using logical arguments and properties of linear transformations, matrices, and vector spaces.

2. What are the key components of a linear algebra proof?

The key components of a linear algebra proof include defining the problem or statement, stating any given assumptions or known information, using relevant definitions and theorems, and providing a logical and step-by-step explanation of the proof.

3. How do I approach a linear algebra proof?

The best approach to a linear algebra proof is to first carefully read and understand the problem, then make a plan or outline of the steps needed to prove the statement. It is also important to familiarize yourself with relevant definitions and theorems to guide your reasoning.

4. How can I check the validity of a linear algebra proof?

To check the validity of a linear algebra proof, you can carefully review each step and make sure it follows logically from the previous step. You can also try substituting different values and checking if the proof still holds.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a linear algebra proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a linear algebra proof include assuming what needs to be proven, using incorrect definitions or theorems, making invalid operations on matrices or vectors, and not providing enough explanation or detail in each step.