How Does the ΔS = 0 Selection Rule Arise?

• Thread starter pfollansbee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the selection rule ΔS=0 and the lack of a quantum mechanical explanation for forbidden transitions. The electric dipole is mentioned as a factor, but no explicit explanation has been found. The thread also mentions the use of spin orbit coupling to explain why these transitions still occur with less probability. The provided links and resources offer further information and possible explanations for these phenomena.
pfollansbee
Exactly what the title says.

I know that there exists a selection rule that ΔS=0, but I cannot find a quantum mechanical explanation for these transitions being forbidden. I know that it has something to do with the electric dipole, but I have not been able to find anything explicit.

In reference to my earlier thread, I want to state mathematically why singlet->triplet transitions are forbidden and then use spin orbit coupling to show why these transitions still happen (though with less probability) due to singlet/triplet mixing.

My best clue so far:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_rule#Electronic_spectra

Anything would be excellent, so I can get a better starting point. A section from a book would be preferable though so that I could cite it. I've looked in Sakurai, Blinder, and Atkins/Friedman so far with no luck.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look how the spin couples to the EM field in the non-relativistic limit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_equation
Try to estimate the relation of a d*E term (responsible for electric dipole transitions) to the Stern Gerlach term e.g. for visible light.

Related to How Does the ΔS = 0 Selection Rule Arise?

1. What is the ΔS = 0 selection rule?

The ΔS = 0 selection rule is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that in a transition between two energy states, the total spin quantum number (ΔS) must remain the same. This means that the spin of the initial and final states must be equal.

2. Why does the ΔS = 0 selection rule arise?

The ΔS = 0 selection rule arises from the conservation of angular momentum in quantum systems. In a transition between two energy states, the total angular momentum (which includes both orbital and spin angular momentum) must be conserved. Therefore, the spin of the initial and final states must be the same.

3. How does the ΔS = 0 selection rule impact spectroscopy?

The ΔS = 0 selection rule impacts spectroscopy by limiting the types of transitions that can occur between energy states. In particular, it restricts transitions between states with different spin quantum numbers, leading to a certain pattern of spectral lines in spectroscopic measurements.

4. Is the ΔS = 0 selection rule always obeyed?

No, the ΔS = 0 selection rule is not always obeyed. In some cases, there may be small violations of this rule due to interactions with the environment or other factors. However, these violations are typically very small and do not significantly impact the overall behavior of quantum systems.

5. How does the ΔS = 0 selection rule relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The ΔS = 0 selection rule is related to the Pauli exclusion principle in that both are based on the concept of conservation of angular momentum. The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two particles in a system can have the same set of quantum numbers, including spin. The ΔS = 0 selection rule follows from this principle by ensuring that the total spin quantum number remains constant in a transition between energy states.